on 6 September 2017
A book that unfolds from a surrealistic, multifarious vision by a young girl to other worlds where the truth is peeled back in layers throughout time and the intervention of a fictional Freud explaining the development as he shares the narration. beautiful in its entirety and filled with poetic prose. A brilliant book admired by Salman Rushdie, Graham Greene and John Updike. Riveting and breathtaking. Please read it !!!!
on 3 August 2007
A really enjoyable read which takes you on a journey into the fevered mind of a young woman suffering from hysteria as she is treated by the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud. What I admire about this novel is how skilfully Thomas allows the hidden meanings behind Lisa's hysteria to gradually emerge, but how things sometimes never appear as they seem, with Lisa herself an unreliable witness.

The novel is really a mix of sexual fantasy, buried memories and psychic power. Lisa's pain (left breast/pelvis) and fear to have children are finally revealed as a telepathic anticipation of the horrors of the Second World War and I admire the way Thomas juggles past, present and future in his narrative. It is a psychological puzzle which finally makes horrific sense.

My only criticism of the novel is its final, perhaps sentimental, conclusion. It did not seem to ring true with what preceded it.
on 6 February 2017
I read this after it had been suggested by a lecturer, it took me a little while to become used to D M Thomas' style but a few more pages in and I was hooked! It is an incredibly different exploration of a very explored topic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2016
A savage 'poem' and an eloquent essay on the psychological perversity of war.
on 30 April 2017
The most romantic book ever! Anyone who is into romance this is a def!
on 19 August 2017
Good quality thank you
on 3 March 2016
unbeatable!
on 19 November 2015
A wonderful and devastating novel.
on 6 February 2011
I read little but this instinctively struck me as outstanding. Poised, eloquent and at times deeply beautiful. A perfectly realised weight of expression for the period, the events and their nightmare stature in history.

I agree that it is a piece of art and encourage readers to make time for it if they can.
on 14 May 2013
I have always meant to read this but never got round to it. Now that I have I am rather amazed. Not what I expected and I will have to read it again before I begin to really appreciate it. Remarkable.