Customer reviews

Format: Flexibound|Change

on 7 April 2012
Other reviewers have given this guide an excellent detailed thumbs up, I see no point in repeating at length. It's greatest strength is its size - it IS pocket sized. Any guide to be used outdoors, HAS to be a compromise. Yes, as a serious birder, I have many books, all the usual suspects, Peterson, Collins, Philips etc etc etc! All in their own right great publications, only 'let down' by their dubious portability. If your birding sees you on the move, with 'scope tripod & binos and other paraphernalia, weight is a premium, so this is your book. Yes!
P.S: There is a PAPERBACK VERSION AVAILABLE - lighter still.
on 29 May 2017
excellent informative book
on 26 July 2012
This Bird watchers guide is packed full of information, a must for anyone interested in birds.
I know it will accompany me from now on.
I'm glad I purchased it.
This is the book which sits next to our kitchen sink so that we can look up anything seen in our own back garden. It also accompanies me whenever I am out and about in the country. If it is a small pocket guide you are seeking - then look no further.

Commencing with a few Basics, we then mover quickly on to How the Guide Works followed by a list of species included. Time spent on reading these introductory items is time well spent. All bird types are shown together commencing with the smallest (Firecrest) and working up to the larger birds with all seabirds included right at the end.

An excellent book.

NM
on 16 July 2012
This was one of the first bird guides that I bought. As I was a beginner back then (not even a beginner, I just liked the zoo birds) I didn't know any species except sparrows, doves and crows.

As I read it it really got myself into it. I couldn't believe that there were this many and beatiful birds in Europe. The text, despite it's shortness and basic, covered almost every detail you needed to easily identificate a bird. The illustrations were really awesome, you could see every single feather of a bird in those; and I liked how the artist illustrated the birds' habits, it really got the plates away from the un-natural, "stuffed" look of bird plates.

I also liked the colour coding, it was really helpful to find the bird that I was looking for.

I used this guide many years because it was definitely one of the best guides for beginners and intermediates.

As years passed, I started to learn a lot about birds and I needed a guide that covered more species with more detailed text and illustrations, so I looked for guides like that and I found Collins Bird Guide. That's was the time when this beginner-friendly book slowly got into other bird guides that I rarely used.

Today, as an experienced and near-professional birder, I use Collins Bird Guide, but when I'm bored or get sick of Collins Bird Guide, my first alternative guide is always this one. It has a special place for me. It reminds me of the time when I didn't know anything about the birds in the nature of Europe... It was an excellent guide when I was a beginner.
on 10 February 2011
This book has an incredible amount of detail in it, not only in the superb, plentiful and accurate artwork that fills each page, but other details that other books may lack.
It details over 430 species, has 3,500 illustrations, it displays the habitats, what time of year each species may be seen, male, female and juvenile seasonal plumage, at least six illustration for each bird including birds at rest and in flight.

The book itself has a shiny and durable hardcover, the pages are printed on good quality paper with a colour-coded key on the page-edges, to allow a quick way to get to the bird family you want to look up. This of course comes once you learn or get used to the colour-codes. It measures 19.5cm(h) x 9.5cm(w) x 1.7cm(d)and is small enough to go into a pocket.

There's not much more to say really, this really is a super book and will do all you want it to and probably more.
on 20 October 2014
My wife and I are not birdwatchers but we do have a lot of unusual birds around where we live and it's nice to be able to identify them. A friend who IS an expert birder (he lectures all over the world on this and other nature related subjects) has an old dog-eared and well annotated copy of this little book and recommended it as best of its kind. And it is - we now have two copies, one at home and one in the car ready to be whipped out when something interesting pops into view. But one observation - there appear to be a number of different publications at different prices and I THINK the print quality differs. May not be important if it's just to identify a bird but if it is important to you you'd probably be better off with the "original" rather than the printed-in-China versions we have. It's fine and still worth five stars but I'm sure the illustrations are not as crisp as my friend's old copy.
on 19 August 2013
I liked thecontent very much. It is smaller than expected so you have topay more attention to the detail - especially when uour eyes are not perfect. - buit it is a pocket book so...
on 8 January 2014
This is very good, but probably for those with a little more experience, as it includes (as the title suggests) many of the species found further east in Europe, so unless you know your starting position (i.e. what it a bird is unlikely to be) you may become confused. However, for an all-round, travelling field guide small enough to fit in a shoulder bag (and when you can't carry the Collins Guide, which remains the benchmark), this is really good. Would like a paperback version!
on 16 June 2011
Very pleased with this little book not too big to take with you.
I'm a beginner to bird watching and this book seems to fit the bill for me. It was recommended by a friend who is an expertThe Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe]]