on 4 May 2007
Ideal book for anyone who is thinking to keep chickens! Great introduction to all aspects of keeping chickens with just the right depth covering everything from housing, litter materials, feed types, chicken well beings, natural vs artificial fertilised eggs incubations, chicken breeds... etc etc.. All these are explained in plain English together with excellent colour photos to maintain reader interest throughout the book. Did you know that chickens need to eat sand or grits to help digestions? I did not before reading this book! All in all, a great book which is both entertaining and educational to read before keeping your first chicken in your backyard! Definately a 5-Start for this book!!!
I make it a rule only to review books on subjects I know something about. Although we have something approaching 100 birds, I am relatively new to keeping chickens and this review is based on those early experiences coupled with the frequent use of this book.

Author Chris Graham is the Editor of a leading UK poultry magazine with considerable knowledge of the subject. Whilst the book itself is somewhat disjointed in parts, I have found it to be both an enormous help and, so far at least, able to cover each topic I have needed to consult. In addition, the photography - covering various breeds, equipment and other items, is of the highest standard.

Arranged into; Which breeds, getting started, care, hatching & rearing, showing, different breeds, hybrids, pests and diseases, the book appears to cover all the main topics of interest to the beginner with a fair degree of thoroughness. Personally, I have consulted this book on an almost daily basis for the past several weeks and have yet to find it lacking.

My only real complaint is the order in which the different breeds are arranged. I would have preferred a straight forward alphabetical order of all types. This would allow quick access to whichever variety I was seeking at the time. Instead, they are arranged into 5 sections, albeit alphabetically within each, by; Hard feather, soft feather heavy, soft feather light and so forth.

I do also feel that the RRP of GBP £12:99 is a tad too expensive - although I was quite happy with the GBP £7:50 I paid for my own copy. All things considered, this is possibly the best buy for the complete beginner.

NM
on 23 January 2008
We've been keeping chickens for a couple of years now, and we wish we had this book when (or even before) we started out. It has information on all aspects of keeping chickens, from coops and enclosures, avoiding health problems, integrating with the existing family, feeding, etc. The text is well-thought-out and clearly written, and the pictures with their associated captions add even more information. Buy this book before you dive in and get your first chook. If you're already a chicken-parent, buy it anyway and keep it to hand always!
on 24 November 2006
I've just started looking into keeping chickens in my back garden and found this book really helpful - from picking the right breed to how to house and care for them. It's clearly set out with sound advice and the large colour pictures of the different breed types are great!
on 1 November 2007
If you are thinking about keeping chickens everything that you need to know is in this book. Absolutely excellent!!
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2012
My partner and I purchased this book when we decided to try our hand at chicken keeping but needed help to get started. And this is the ideal book for the newcomer. It tells you all you need to know to get you started; what type of coop to buy, how much space they need, feeding, illness, etc. And most importantly it takes you through all the most common breeds and their characteristics. We purchased two wynandottes on the basis of this book, and they've proved to be great girls.

Four years on we have 10 chickens and wouldn't be without them. If you're tempted, buy the book. The only down side to bear in mind is that they'll wreck your garden if you let them have the run of the place. But if you have the space, they are great to own, huge personalities and very rewarding. And you get eggs. One last suggestion if you take the plunge; have a few rescue chickens to complete your flock. Watching those poor girls learning to love life is a great pleasure.
I have been thinking about keeping chickens for a while and decided to get this book to shed some insight and info on the subject. As it was a low price, I thought it worth a punt and take the risk.

What a good book. The sections are clearly defined, plenty of colourful pictures and lots of information on keeping and looking after chickens. This has firmly made up my mind that I will continue to the next stage and get a coop and run and make it fox proof before getting the hens.

If there was any criticism is that a large section tells you about the pure breeds of chickens and only a small section on the hybrids, which is what I shall be getting as they are more docile and lay more eggs.

Overall, a good buy.
on 22 May 2008
This is a lovely book for the beginner, since there are lovely colour photos and bite size information covering what you need to know to get into keeping chickens. It is limited, in that once you have your chickens you probably want to have more information and there are only a limited amount of breeds covered but the lay out is reader friendly, digestible and sufficient for the novice to make a good start. Then the fun begins! The book does relay the real joy of keeping chickens and the benefits for children. Well worth reading before getting started on buying coop, hens etc.
on 17 April 2012
I purchased this book for my brother and sister-in-law as a present to help them get started with keeping chickens. They have now got Audrey and Gail who are doing very well!!! So a good purchase I think
on 3 July 2015
Book arrived in good time, a little worn and the front cover has the corner torn off but as it was "used" then only to be expected and doesn't affect the information contained in it. So far it has proved very useful and has answered a few questions.