on 6 June 2015
This book is the best. Travel is my dream and these places are my dream destinations.
on 24 December 2006
I bought an edition of this book as a remainder at a U.S. bookstore. It's a very appealing book whose "destinations" include both the famous and the obscure. The best part of it is the range of destinations covered, and the beautiful photos of each (most destinations are covered in one page, some in less). The descriptive copy presents the basic facts about each destination, but it is sometimes carelessly edited, especially for spelling. I've been to 33 of the 501 destinations so far, and, inspired by this book, I'm looking forward to visiting more.
I have always enjoyed reading about foreign places and so this book was of interest to me despite not having the time and money to visit many of the destinations detailed. The book has a clear and easy to read layout with each destination given a small description, a picture and a sidebar of the most interesting and useful information. The majority of places detailed only have a page dedicated to them with a small number getting slightly less or sometimes a double page spread. Some of the descriptions of places can be somewhat brief and I would recommend seeking out information on destinations you like elsewhere but as a starting point this book is quite good. The main problem with the book is the somewhat lacklustre editing with the text sometimes repeating itself as well as other minor errors. Overall, although there are some places detailed that I have no interest in seeing, there are enough that I am interested in to make this book a worthy purchase.
on 1 December 2007
This book will give you the inspiration for future trips & reminders of past ones.
I have visited 30 so far and am inspired by many of those I have not yet visited.
Even if you don't want to go far a suprising number of destinations are in Europe & the UK.
on 11 April 2008
Pictures are awesome. Easy to read. Good and not too long description of the destinations organised by continent.
I bought this book for my boyfriend's birthday. He was so happy with his gift! We both love travelling and we have already been to a few of the 501 destinations listed! Definitely it is the best book of its range, and it encourages us to travel more and more!
I recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure and who dreams to go to the most beautiful places on earth!
on 6 April 2009
A really well produced book with wonderful photography. Some of the locations were a bit remote but still good reading. I felt more than one page could have been given to some city locations. Recommended purchase.
on 7 December 2010
I picked up an earlier edition of this book at a sale. It is very thorough in the destinations covered, has high quality images and the descriptions are a pleasure to read. It is a good coffee table book.
on 5 January 2012
This book is really fun, as it shows you important, interesting and pretty places to visit around the world. I always like to have a look at it, before going on a trip to a certain country and see if I can build in as many destinations from that country into my trip as possible. It's really good to give you an idea of what you want to see while there. I also think it's great for thinking about where to possibly go on future trips. It stops you from always going to one place, because you realize there is so much more to see.
on 14 April 2013
Great (and relatively brief) descritions of each area, great photography! It makes you dreaming from the first page! Nice small size coffetable companion, absolutely fine to get a good idea of the places and make initial decisions. Then you need a more detailed guidebook
on 7 June 2013
Bought for 50th birthday pressie for a seasoned traveller.
Seemed like a nice book to browse through and feel like you could be there!