on 3 December 2004
I bought this book earlier this year and have now done quite a few patterns from it. They all look fantastic and friends have even aked me to knit things for their children from this book. My favourite is the pirate jumper which looks complicated but is surprisingly easy and was finished within a month.
on 25 May 2015
Pattern charts rather hard to follow. I enlarged them at local post office.
on 5 May 2004
i dont know how the other reviewer could say that these patterns were not very modern, i thought they were all beautiful and very tasteful, the kind of hing you would pay a fortune for in the shops. zoe mellor makes even the most complicated patterns simple and easy to follow. I am so glad i chose this book above the others, i cant wait to knit everything in there, my only quibble is that i dont know enough babies!
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 October 2006
Some classic knits in this book. The cutest little slippers, hats and gloves. A modern take on a Fair Isle Jumper that looks like it's been bought from Monsoon. A fun pirate's jumper. Some lovely girls and boys jumpers. Excellent. They're classic, straight forward yet fun and stylish patterns. Easily adaptable for larger sizes and less kitsch tastes. On the whole much more pleasing on the eye and more satisfiying than buying clothes made from a nasty synthetic fabric, in a sweat shop and which have been shipped thousands of miles . And you can't beat home knits for warmth and durability. I didn't like a couple of the styles - but the majority of them formed a one stop shop for some great clothes. Now all I need to do is work on producing the kids to fit them...
on 9 May 2007
I think the other reviewer must have misunderstood the pattern because a friend of mine knitted the sweater on the cover and had no problems at all (except that her little boy wouldn't wear it!). The designs are great and some of the things are really quick to knit, like the baby slippers (I've made 3 pairs now in different colours for my friends babies!). Someone else I know knitted the Lacy Sweater and did have a problem with the edging, but she emailed the publisher and they sent an errata sheet straight away. If I didn't know of the odd little error in the book it'd be 5 stars!
on 24 July 2008
Unlike so many patterns in shops which look as if they are from the 1950s, this book has some georgeous designs which I agree look as if they might be from Monsoon or somewhere similar. Can't imagine how anyone could think they were old fashioned. I think perhaps the girls patterns are more exciting than the boys. My friend's little girl was over the moon with the white and cerise pink floral cardi. Overall I thought it was great, just an odd place where the instructions might have been clearer. Just about to order another of Zoe Mellor's books...I have really got the knitting bug as a result of this book.
on 3 November 2010
The designs in the book are exactly the same as the book of 50 designs by Zoe Mellor. All are lovely, but the book of 50 is far better value!The Big Book of Kids' Knits: 50 Designs for Babies and Toddlers
on 26 October 2011
i was a bit disappointed that there are only patterns for 3months plus. however, since i gave birth, i dont find time to knit anyhow. for the price, the book is pretty nice in any case!
on 20 August 2011
Great book, lots of interesting patterns nicely set out and easy to follow. I've already knitted a pretty pink sweater for my new baby niece. Didnt have to wait too long for the book to come either,
on 11 October 2011
I borrowed this book from a friend and loved the patterns so much I could not bring myself to return it, so I bought a new copy for her! Modern, stylish designs that are a mix of easy and more challenging patterns. I have made several of the designs and the patterns have been clear and easy to follow. A must for any new parent (or grandparent!).