on 2 July 2014
I cook for a living, have studied food related subjects all my life, and consequently own far too many cookbooks both old and new. In the current economic climate, whether you are a student/newly married/elderly/experienced this is a marvellous book. How to cook good food, with minimum waste or fuss. Nothing too fancy and time consuming. Just every day sensible recipies and tips. One complaint- and its a big one- there is no index! If, like me, you don't have a lot of time to rifle through to find a specific recipie this can be a bit of a pain. I've put a little notebook alongside, on the shelf, and have written the page number of my favourites in it. If a new edition comes out with an index I'd probably buy it and pass my copy on. I bought a copy for my mum who is in her eighties and she read it from cover to cover because it brought back so many memories for her, so a great gift too. I'm currently teaching a son and daughter to cook and this book is perfect for the basics.
on 25 June 2017
Just as you expect, an interesting read
on 26 April 2017
I was very pleased with this book as it was a birthday present for a friend, she loved it.
on 5 July 2017
The book come in great condition and was everything my wife wanted
on 18 May 2017
Love book.Great transaction.
on 3 November 2009
I call this Book My Cooking Bible. Simple, Easy and Delicious Recipes you can make with simple ingredient's found in most everyday Kitchen cupboard's without the modern day pomp and ceremony used by Celebrity Chef's. I can just about make any Soup from scratch thanks to this book. It is not a 1 recipe per page book you will get about 6 per page and is well worth the money. It cover's preserving, Soups, Pickles, Making Do and much more. Highly Recommended and easy to follow. Enjoy :)
on 27 October 2013
Just to clarify in defence of this book, re the organisation, or rather lack of it in this book. This is not one book, but a collection of three books restructured into one, hence the lack of an index. What a bargain! Yes, an index would be nice, but I for one am really happy with the recipes and info provided and as someone else has said there are some great pictures.
on 12 March 2011
Although I am Dutch and remember the war only vaguely, I still recognise a lot of the make-do ideas in this book and am filled with admiration for the inventiviness of the women who took care of the food. There are recipes in it I would like to try, but that brings me to the big problem I have: why are the pages not numbered and why is there no index. And why, when Mrs. Patten refers to a recipe she used before, does it still say: for this sauce see page 37, when there is no page 37 to be found? I really love this book but this makes it very difficult to use. What a pity!
on 5 June 2009
I purchased this cookbook as the lady driving the jeep is my mum on V.E day. I found the book very interesting i show how little ingrediants they had to use through the time of rationing but made the most of it. And there are some interesting facts in it.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2010
I really love this book - it gives such a genuine taster of what it was like under rationing. The recipes are fantastic and still very relevant - who isn't trying to cut down on sugar and fat? One of my favourites is a pastry made with potatoes - very hearty and with heaps less fat in it than usual.

I would have given it five stars, but it lost two because of the lack of organisation in it. There is no index or proper contents page, as the book is a compilation of a number of previous books prepared by the same author. This makes it really hard to find recipes - whether you know they're in there or not!

I bought this book as a present, then made the mistake of opening it up and couldn't put it down. I then had to buy another to replace it once I covered my copy in flour!

If you're interested in vintage cooking, life during the war or just cutting back on fats and sugars in a creative way, go for it. If you need recipes at your fingertips and have no interest in wading through pages trying to find what you're looking for, perhaps give it a miss.