on 23 August 2017
Excellent book, bought it because of a recommendation on YouTube 'Prepper' video. our Grandparents didn't waste food as we do, and knew how to make a little go a long way.
on 25 June 2017
Just as you expect, an interesting read
on 26 April 2017
I was very pleased with this book as it was a birthday present for a friend, she loved it.
on 14 September 2017
Great insight to a time gone by. Fantastic read. Great recipes
on 5 July 2017
The book come in great condition and was everything my wife wanted
on 18 May 2017
Love book.Great transaction.
on 2 July 2014
I cook for a living, have studied food related subjects all my life, and consequently own far too many cookbooks both old and new. In the current economic climate, whether you are a student/newly married/elderly/experienced this is a marvellous book. How to cook good food, with minimum waste or fuss. Nothing too fancy and time consuming. Just every day sensible recipies and tips. One complaint- and its a big one- there is no index! If, like me, you don't have a lot of time to rifle through to find a specific recipie this can be a bit of a pain. I've put a little notebook alongside, on the shelf, and have written the page number of my favourites in it. If a new edition comes out with an index I'd probably buy it and pass my copy on. I bought a copy for my mum who is in her eighties and she read it from cover to cover because it brought back so many memories for her, so a great gift too. I'm currently teaching a son and daughter to cook and this book is perfect for the basics.
on 3 November 2009
I call this Book My Cooking Bible. Simple, Easy and Delicious Recipes you can make with simple ingredient's found in most everyday Kitchen cupboard's without the modern day pomp and ceremony used by Celebrity Chef's. I can just about make any Soup from scratch thanks to this book. It is not a 1 recipe per page book you will get about 6 per page and is well worth the money. It cover's preserving, Soups, Pickles, Making Do and much more. Highly Recommended and easy to follow. Enjoy :)
on 27 October 2013
Just to clarify in defence of this book, re the organisation, or rather lack of it in this book. This is not one book, but a collection of three books restructured into one, hence the lack of an index. What a bargain! Yes, an index would be nice, but I for one am really happy with the recipes and info provided and as someone else has said there are some great pictures.
on 12 March 2011
Although I am Dutch and remember the war only vaguely, I still recognise a lot of the make-do ideas in this book and am filled with admiration for the inventiviness of the women who took care of the food. There are recipes in it I would like to try, but that brings me to the big problem I have: why are the pages not numbered and why is there no index. And why, when Mrs. Patten refers to a recipe she used before, does it still say: for this sauce see page 37, when there is no page 37 to be found? I really love this book but this makes it very difficult to use. What a pity!