Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2013
Big Muppet Fan, (Kermit is about my only voice impersonation party piece) so bought this book as soon as I was aware of it.

A brilliantly researched book, you can tell that the author really did get close to Family and friends to get a full picture of Jim Henson.

For anyone who loved and still loves the Muppets a must read.
on 1 April 2014
I grew up with Sesame Street and the Muppets and Fraggles, with their music on the record player, always knowing Jim Henson was the gentle, bearded genius behind them, but not until recent years has it hit me what a huge impact the man has had on my life, not to mention the lives of millions worldwide. Jones's biography delves deep into Jim's roots and so much obvious care was taken to handle the presentation of Jim's life with accuracy. It was fabulous to read quote after quote from Jim's family, friends, and Muppet family about how Jim lived, and how much love and dedication he put into his work, and into making the world a better place with his own, truly unique stamp. Of course, the end had me weeping, and wondering what other amazing things Jim might've brought to life had his time not ended when it did, but of everything I took away from this book, what stands out most is the contagious inspiration in Jim's unapologetic optimism and wonder. He was truly one of a kind, and Jones has done an incredible job with the interviews, research, chronology, and facts without getting bogged down in sentimentality or opinions. And what's left is a picture of humanness, kindness, generosity, and determination Jim had to keep bringing his vision to life, regardless of what the critics or networks said. Given that Jones managed to interview not just members of Jim's Muppet family, but also Jane Henson and their children, I don't believe there could exist a more thorough and accurate depiction of Jim's life and work. Grateful.
on 13 March 2014
Growing up with The Muppets as a child and also Sesame Street the memories come flooding back while reading this, yet the thing is even as a child i was always aware of Henson the man behind them and the creator and loved him for creating these wonderful creatures and worlds we enjoyed and that have still evolved to this day.
The book is well written and full of info with many surprises along the way and it has once again shown why new generations love the Muppets and why Sesame street has continued to educate and enthrall children of all ages.
I have started revisiting The Muppet shows and am enjoying them seeing the technical side now i'm an adult as well as the fun and celebrity cameos, i also plan on re-watching Fraggle Rock and his 2 masterpieces films The dark Crystal and Labyrinth..i wish that Fraggle Rock would re re-released tho as it seems rather expensive and presume it's not printed anymore. Anyway i digress and recommend this book 100% as an enjoyable read but also an insight to how creative and lovely the man actually was.
May The Muppets continue forever and does his legacy.
on 16 February 2014
Biographies are always a strange thing, often ranging between the salacious and sanitary depending on the intended audience and the subject matter. This book not only reminds us of who Jim was and how he touched and shaped so many lives, but that he was a human being and that he did make mistakes. Detailed to a point where it's almost too much and touching on all major points in Jim's life the worst thing about this book was knowing how it would end. As I approached the final year of Jim's life I began to grow sadder and when the chain of events that would lead to his untimely death began I could feel the tears behind my eyes. I couldn't hold them back for long. Jim was one of my childhood heroes who I mourned as only a child can. Now as an adult I revisited those dark days when he passed on via the pages of this book and grieve the worlds loss as an adult. His legacy is impressive and for anyone who wishes to find out how it got to be so impressive I can do little else than recommend this fascinating, humorous and sometimes heartbreaking book.
on 19 December 2014
A sensitive and honest portrayal of one of the pioneers of 20th Century entertainment. From his beginnings with "Sam and Friends" right through his successes on stage, TV and the big screen this opens out Henson's life in way no one has done before.
As a fan of most of his work since childhood it was a pleasure to read about the gentle, creative giant behind all my favourite shows and characters. Just as his shows always did, this book will make you laugh and cry as you realise just what a loss to our lives Jim Henson was. Jones has put together an excellent Biography with contributions from all those who knew him best as well as excerpts from his own journals (or his Big Red Book as it was known) to let us into his world.
Sorely missed, this Biography will let you into that world again.
on 20 January 2014
The man's a genius! A great read. Should appeal to non Muppet fans as well as people that like biographies..
on 10 April 2014
I myself have not read this book as it was an xmas gift for my son as he is a muppet and Jim Henson fan. He was really pleased with the book and enjoyed reading it, so recommended.
on 2 July 2014
Fun, informative and detailed, a good read from.start to finish that shows what a creative spirit can achieve if they want to make a difference.
Thoroughly recommended
on 16 May 2015
Although the I love this book the condition it arrived in is terrible. The back is torn and the sleeve is damaged. It appears as if not very much care was giving to this products storage and shipping at all. However I could just be knit picking if you have any interest in the life of Jim Henson it is a must buy
review image
on 21 November 2015
Excellent read, interesting, poignant and happy all at once, I thoroughly recommend this to any Muppets fan ! Many thanks

HC