on 29 December 2011
Its full of inspiring stories and detail, and I totally identify with his mission to create so much more than just business. Its helped me think in different ways about how my business can contribute fully to society and the urgent push towards cleaning up and creating sustainable world.

Also until I read Screw Business I hadn't realised that the Virgin Money Giving site was around and also about two thirds less expensive than the competition, Richard Branson has long been an inspiration to me in business but this new book is just so in tune - I like the way he has turned Virgin's focus to the huge problems we face today. The elders, Virgin Unite, Virgin Green Fund, the carbon war room and the prize for finding a geo-engineering solution to finding a way of extracting carbon from the planet are all detailed in here.
14 people found this helpful
on 5 September 2016
First of all, the 1/5 star review I have given this book isn't *strictly* accurate - I didn't hate this book. But in this era of polarity of opinions I feel I should make my opinion clear, and it is that this book was so, so disappointing.

I have been becoming more and more interested in the topics of social enterprise and international development and why we should 'screw business as usual', and I realised I knew very little about Richard Branson or his career, so I thought this book would educate me on both of those fronts.

However, as a few others have said, beyond the foreword this book descends into one big, repetitive ego trip (I found the first chapter interesting but beyond that my interest diminished as it was the same message over and over - I really couldn't distinguish between the topics of any of the chapters!).

Impressive stories and great results achieved no doubt (I don't think anyone could question that), but I feel that I can't relate to this book or his efforts in any way, let alone feel that replicating these adventures is an attainable goal. RB is simply moving in circles way beyond those of probably 99.999% of the population. I was hoping for a few simple, practical tips that the 'typical' person (in relative terms) on the street could apply to their attitude or in their workplace or life to at least get them started on their own journey of 'screwing business as usual' and creating some positive change in the world.

Sadly, with about 60 pages to go (I'm struggling but determined to finish now) I don't feel any more equipped to create some positive social, business change than I did before I picked the book up. And in some ways I feel further away.

Wouldn't recommend.
One person found this helpful
on 6 August 2014
I had thought this book was going to be about business, and help out someone who was trying to start up and make a successful time of it. I am struggling to get through it as so far (75% of the way through) it has mainly been name dropping famous business leaders who have achieved great things, but not really in the same realm that the rest of us occupy.

I think Branson is trying to inspire massive change which is a great thing but I just don't really get the flow of this book and it hasn't really inspired me or given me much insight on how to achieve such change.
One person found this helpful
on 6 June 2016
Very good condition. Advice from sir Richard Branson. Nice read with lots of ideas and knowledge
on 24 October 2015
Loved most of it. Wish these mindsets had started earlier in entrepreneurs careers - our gens responsibility
on 25 April 2014
really interesting look at what people around the world are doing, in an attempt to move from simple donations to good causes to more robust business models
on 6 July 2015
Fantastic book.
Picked up so many fab tips for the future.
My daughter has loved it too.
on 10 January 2018
Great read, lots of great case studies and examples or good successful business. easy to read. thought provoking
on 3 October 2015