on 20 January 2015
Having only seen James on Dragons Den a few times, I might not have picked this book to read, other than the good reviews on Amazon. But make no mistake he is a great guy and this is a really fascinating biography, arguably it is the pick of the Dragons Dens books.

As many reviewers have said, once you start reading you can't put it down. Some people will find certain parts a bit too sales based (but this is us being too British & often we need to be more sales focused, in order to move our industries forward). The chapters on Bosnia and Pakistan as well as the private Equity chapters are all fascinating insights into both business and charity. Added to this his personal story from humble beginnings and leaving school at an early age make this a very personal and well written story.

Above all this provides great motivation for those starting off in business and provides a really interesting life story. After reading this you can not help, but have total respect for James in his business, his charity work and his personal story. A must read.
on 6 December 2016
One of the best business books I have read. Well written and everything from his own words. I keep re-reading this book as it really has all the important rules and ingredients and the mindset needed for starting up a business. What's more amazing about this book is that James Caan tells you exactly word by word the dialogues and scripts he used on the phone or interviewing people. Very useful indeed and excellent read.
on 30 July 2010
I bought this book on a whim, basing my purchase upon the very much positive reviews. I feel very strongly that this book was very well written and demonstrates that even when you have succeeded, you can reflect very strongly upon where you went wrong or where there was grounds for improvement - James Caan does this on numerous occasions. The way it was written really impressed me, for it was clear that he took the time to get the account of his life so far right, rather than rushing it for the sake of it.

Another good element of this book is the inspiration that is yielded from it. I cannot stop recalling moments when I felt carried away by the sheer amount of things that he achieved against the odds.

A helpful addition includes very good quality coloured pictures - which are a helpful inclusion amongst the very well-written text.

In a nutshell: If you watch Dragons' Den, have a passion for business or merely want to read a good book, buy this. I guarantee that you shall not be dissapointed. But beware, for it has to come to an end!
on 5 December 2017
Success stories are great to here. For anyone coming from outside the UK, there are hardships. They don't need to get you down. You can in fact use the knowledge you have to make a business or enter new markets like James did.

James provides some useful tips within the book to help you in business.
on 7 November 2009
Everyone will know James as the suave, quiet, intelligent investor from Dragon's Den. What you may not know is the story of how he went from a young boy to one of the UK's sharpest investors.

James' story is quite amazing. He was probably earning more in the early 80s than most are earning now and all from his own sheer bravado and a determination to succeed.

His self-belief is something I wish I had and something that all these entrepreneurs have (I've read a lot of their books). It's quite inspiring.

If you like Dragon's Den or just want to be inspired then you'll love this book.
on 15 January 2014
What a book which I found difficult to put down. Not only in the experience of an entrepreneur building a successful business but also of a boy maturing into a man with the difficulties of managing family relationships, dealing with his identity and so much more.
I found this read inspirational because of the courage of the man throughout who as he became successful seemed to become more humble. If you want a self help book for motivation, developing a business, being content in life or even just a moving read then try this one.
on 22 March 2015
Extraordinary is an overused word. In this case it's right in the money!
Well done to Mr James Caan (do you know his birth name?) Whether it's the powerful story of his family and integrating into UK culture, or his more recent adventures in the Dragons Den, he doesn't disappoint.
As I say, this book had me crying with sadness and happiness as well as genuinely laughing aloud. Read it.
on 25 August 2016
The book is a slick combination of story telling and business tips. The language is emotive in places and you cannot help but be drawn in. I have a totally different view of James Caan than before I read the book!
on 4 February 2013
I have no interest in business, so what possessed me to pick up this book is any body's guess. Yet once I started to read it I became so engrossed I couldn't put it down. It's a frank and fascinating insight into one mans life journey and a highly interesting and compelling one at that. You are literally there with him as he allows the reader to go on the journey him. I's written in such an expressive honest way that you sense a real connection. His energy and enthusiasm for life has you gripped; You can't wait to read about his next plan as with each knock back he's looking for his next opportunity. Positively exhausting? Yes, Boring? Absolutely not!
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2013
Well written and tells James Caan's story of his life to date. Very inspirational. If you work hard and apply the same principles you must succeed. Like many of us who have succeeded he blagged his way at the start was persitent and delivered the goods.