Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 16 May 2008
2014: 13th Jan.
I wrote the review below in 2008, but feel I should now post an update.

After doing so well at the time of that review (three years after my dianosis in 2005), to actually be here and still doing well after NINE years has exceeded all my hopes.

Every day I count myself so lucky that I found Prof Jane Plant and her work so soon.
Diet plus conventional treatment has worked marvellously for me, and if I hadn't found and followed The Plant Programme I feel absolutely certain I wouldn't be here today.

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in April 2005. My prognosis was very bleak, an inoperable T4 tumour, and I was expected to have only a few years of life left.
However, within a week of that shocking news, I discovered the work of Prof.Jane Plant while researching this illness.

I am convinced that doing so saved my life. On hearing of her own successful fight against breast cancer I ordered her book, "Your Life In Your Hands" from Amazon.

Her thorough research and deep scientific knowledge shone out at me like a beacon and I immediately changed my diet and began following her recommendations to fight cancer.

The next week I bought "Prostate Cancer: Understand, Prevent, Overcome", and that book became my 'bible'.

I strictly adhered to the principles of Jane's strategy for battling prostate cancer, and my whole diet became based on the information and recipes I found in her other excellent book "The Plant Programme".

I have waited 3 years to feel confident enough to write this review, because now, after combining my oncologist's conventional medical treatment plan of hormone therapy and radiothery alongside my living by The Jane Plant diet, I have had a truly remarkable outcome.

On Tuesday 13th May 2008 my oncologist told me my latest test results. He was both amazed and delighted that having agreed I could stop all treatment 6 months ahead of schedule, my PSA was at a normal, low level (1.1ng/ml), my testosterone was that of any healthy male, and all this after 36 weeks of no anti-cancer drugs whatsover.

His words to me were: "Whatever you are doing...Don't change a single thing!".

I have no doubt at all that finding Jane's work really did save my life.

Thank you Jane, and to anyone out there who has just been diagnosed with PCa may I wish you a similar happy outcome, and I would urge you to take a look at thse books. I thank my lucky stars that I did.

George Hardy (England)
16th May 2008
55 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2009
My partner was dagnosed with porstate cancer in August 2008, tis book was recomended by members of the prostate cancer charity message boards.
As it was so highly recomended I bought it and was stunned by the information inside, I was even more stunned by what some of the foods we have been told are essenial for good health over the years actually does to us!

I suffer from three different auto-immune conditions and realised how much changing my diet could help me, thought it worth a try as my rheumatologist and doctors are having problems getting my conditions under control. The increased cancer risk factors from my conditions, and at least two of the drugs from the cocktail of drugs I have to take, combined with the information in this book convinced me that I needed to change my diet. Diet was the one risk factor that I could control so I became Vegan about a month ago. It's the best thing I have done in a long time ! my IBS isn't as bad, I'm not bloated and I don't feel as lethargic as much of the time.

I would urge anyone who is concerned about the risk of developing cancer to read any of Prof. Jane Plants books !
on 16 November 2009
I wouldn't recommend this for someone in their first couple of weeks into a diagnosis, I got it out of the library at that point and it had too much information, I know that sounds silly but it bamboozled me at the time. Now four months down the line having got to grips with treatment plans and terminology etc, it's a fantastic book. I've since bought the The Plant Programme and that's good too. The Plant Programme - Eating for Better Health: Recipes for Better Health I sought out these books following recommendations on the Prostate Cancer Charity messageboard - another fantastic source of support and information.
on 31 January 2010
I have been diagnosed Prostate Cancer, caught in the early stages (T1 at age 58) and have had Brachytherapy, now looking for what can I do for the best to try to ensure best outcome. So bought this book and despite below comments recommend as it has a wealth of information on the subject. It is a very heavy read, several times I nearly abandoned it but glad I persevered. It is a mix of medical theory, a lot of academic references to data and studies to support Jane Plant's basic theory of "no Dairy". Without doubt she gathers a wealth of data in support of her theory, and is quite vigorous in putting down any opposing views. You would have to be an academic to follow up all her references to ensure they are quoted in context - the average person will just take these on trust and hope they are truly supportive and not just a convenient sentence or paragraph. That said her arguments are not very balanced. On the plus side, the arguments she gives are convincing and are really common sense -"milk and milk products, are stacked with hormones to support the baby.....Prostate Cancer is a hormone dependant Cancer" and "what other animal drinks another animal's milk for its whole life, not just the baby stage?" and "Nations (ie China) that do not use milk in their diet have low incidences of "hormone dependant cancers" - prostate, breast, ovarian etc etc." On the negative side, people do die in such countries of other cancers but she dismisses that they may be caused by the non dairy diet. One cannot help but wonder whether such a (non dairy) diet might lead to other cancers, ie stomach cancer which the Chinese do suffer from, though she easily dismisses this as probably caused by pesticides (no facts to support). The book becomes a bit of rant in the closing chapters on why western medicine and government health agencies continue to support the Dairy Industry when the link is "obvious" to hormonal cancers. I am only a layman, but I would have liked to see more balanced argument and less academic referencing. If the non dairy theory really is the way, wouldn't you expect her to be being hailed a hero especially by those influental academics that she so frequently references? Despite my above suspicions, I do support the book and her non dairy theory because it makes sense. I will migrate to it, but I am suspicious of what counter arguments that may have other consequences that she must have undoubtedly found in her research that she does not mention. Read the book with your "eyes open"! Prostate Cancer: Understand, Prevent and Overcome Prostrate Cancer
on 31 July 2009
We men don't want to know about prostate problems. But we've all got it! This book lifts the lid on the unmentionable and tells us what we need to know to possibly save our lives. Although written by an eminent scientist it's in everyday language and very readable.
on 3 January 2014
The author of this book is a distinguished geochemist, whose research has elucidated how regional variations in soil composition can contribute to local health problems. Her own breast cancer induced her to think carefully about the dietary influences on cancer. This was not at all her field of expertise, but having worked in China she was well placed to draw clues from the fact that the incidence of hormone-dependent cancers (breast cancer and prostate cancer) is much lower in people on a Chinese diet than on a Western diet. The book's focus is the author's recommendations for preventing prostate cancer or contributing to its cure by changes in diet and lifestyle, but it also contains an introduction to the biology of cancer, and some information about medical terminology and treatment options.

Her recommendations on diet and lifestyle are based on published data (up to 2007). The ones concerning diet are in eight different classes:

1. Avoid dairy (milk, cheese, butter). This is the most famous and controversial of the author's recommendations. Since she first proposed it in 2000, there have been numerous studies on whether dairy intake promotes prostate cancer, and they have been rather contradictory. Some have supported her view, but most have indicated that the association between dairy intake and prostate cancer is weak or nonexistent. Jane Plant's view is that hormones and growth factors in cow's milk get into our bloodstream without being digested, but this view seems to be rejected by most or all specialists

2. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit. This is a standard view. She emphasizes the anti-cancer effects of greens, but also tomatoes, red peppers and flaxseed.

3. Proteins. Include only moderate amounts of protein, and minimize especially animal proteins. This too is fairly standard.

4. Oils and fats. Avoid saturated fats, but eat polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. This again is fairly standard.

5. Flavouring and additives. Some may be carcinogenic but others have anti-cancer effects.

6. Cereals, snacks and treats. She recommends whole-grain cereals and dairy-free chocolate.

7. Sweeteners. She recommends avoiding refined sugar and artificial sweeteners such as aspartame.

8. Drink. She recommends freshly prepared vegetable and fruit juices from organic produce. Before drinking tap water she filters it and then boils it.

Having been diagnosed with a metastatic and aggressive prostate cancer a few months ago, I read this book in the hope of getting advice for my personal situation. It is indeed packed with advice, but probably of unequal validity. A further problem is that since the book's publication in 2007 a vast amount of further information, often contradictory, has been published. A recent study from Harvard said that eating eggs (rich in choline) promotes cancer, but others have found little influence of eggs. One found that 5 grams per day of fish oil (which Jane Plant recommends for its omega-3 fatty acids) is protective against prostate cancer, but another found that the fish oil does exactly the opposite, promoting cancer.

So my question is, how radical should I be in following the author's advice? There is such an abundance of it that it would be difficult to follow it all. I suspect that the filtering and boiling of tap water may be moderately useful in the East End of London and very useful in many parts of the third world, but useless in Lausanne, Switzerland (where I live). Is it really necessary to avoid all dairy products, when most studies over the last six years are ambivalent about their link to prostate cancer? Is it really necessary to eat organic and only organic vegetables? Is microwaved food really carcinogenic? I shall follow much of the author's advice, but not all of it. I am glad I bought the book, but wish the author would produce a new version summarizing the findings since 2007.
on 19 September 2013
I started reading this book while I was undergoing investigation for a suspected prostate problem. The investigation took quite a long while - 3 biopsies and an MRI scan - to eventually find cancer.

My condition is considered intermediate risk which seems to give me a lot of treatment options to consider. The amount of choice brings its own problems and I've been astounded by the amount of information which is dropped into one's lap when this happens.

I think that this book prepared me very well for the dialogue required to make sense of what's happening and the early chapters have been indispensable. Professor Plant's advice about getting treated in a centre with expertise in all options is absolutely spot on. Had I not read this book I would have been blissfully ignorant of what might be possible and may have been shoehorned into the wrong treatment.

The case for dietary change is very well made and I've managed to remove dairy from my diet for the most part and while I have a few lapses am pretty convinced I'll get there.....and that doing so will be worthwhile.

It can be heavy going in places but when you need to know this stuff....you need to know that what is being said is rational and well founded.
on 29 December 2011
Having recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer, a business colleague referred me to this author and the advice, albeit somewhat wordy seems very sound. As a result, I have dramatically reduced my dairy product intake having found a brilliant non-dairy milk product that is a coconut derivative, excellent non-dairy ice desserts and non dairy spreads. Cannot yet find an easily available alternative to dairy cheese but perhaps I can indulge on a moderate basis. It is too early to tell if this is having an effect at the moment but it certainly makes me feel better which in the circumstances is a significant outcome!
on 14 January 2013
This book is a must for any man and family dealing with this illness.
My father was recently diagnosed with this and had this book been available for him earlier he could have done a lot more to help himself. Still with help he is doing well. Don't ignore the condition and discover in this book how much can be done to help yourself and avoid surgery. This does not need to be life threatening .
The author knows what she is talking about a well qualified scientist who has helped many people, and had her own experience with C .
on 17 January 2013
Informative, well written this book told me everything I wanted or needed to know I found it very useful and would happily recommend it to anyone. It is a book I think all men should read It takes away alot of the mystery and fear It is easy to follow and a pocket sized handy reference