on 16 May 2009
My partner was dagnosed with porstate cancer in August 2008, tis book was recomended by members of the prostate cancer charity message boards.
As it was so highly recomended I bought it and was stunned by the information inside, I was even more stunned by what some of the foods we have been told are essenial for good health over the years actually does to us!

I suffer from three different auto-immune conditions and realised how much changing my diet could help me, thought it worth a try as my rheumatologist and doctors are having problems getting my conditions under control. The increased cancer risk factors from my conditions, and at least two of the drugs from the cocktail of drugs I have to take, combined with the information in this book convinced me that I needed to change my diet. Diet was the one risk factor that I could control so I became Vegan about a month ago. It's the best thing I have done in a long time ! my IBS isn't as bad, I'm not bloated and I don't feel as lethargic as much of the time.

I would urge anyone who is concerned about the risk of developing cancer to read any of Prof. Jane Plants books !
on 26 March 2015
The author of this book is extremely well qualified. She researches the subject thoroughly. She assesses references critically, and is critical of self-serving reports financed by companies with vested interests. Her conclusions are valid for cancers other than prostate. Her work has added credibility because she nearly died of cancer, but changed her lifestyle to confound the experts who predicted her demise. Her very numerous supporting references testify that she is extremely well-read. I certainly altered my diet when I read it some years ago.
on 8 August 2017
This is an excellent book for anyone who is concerned about getting or has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is written by a leading scientist who has done a massive amount of personal research into the disease. But it is written in a language aimed at a general intelligent audience. Professor Jane Plant also had personal experience of cancer and incorporates her lived experience of changing her diet and lifestyle to cure her cancer, despite being given only 6 weeks to live by her medical consultant. It provides expert advice on the process of diagnosis and options for medical treatment. It provides detailed scientific reasons, based on recent research, for changing your diet to eliminate dairy produce and adopt a diet based on organic plant foods, along with detailed practical advice about the foods themselves, their medical benefits, and how to prepare them. This book has proved a revelation to me.
Having had the scare of a very high PSA test I needed to know more about the biopsy procedure that was thought necessary. The book explains a lot about the causes, diagnosis and treatment. A well worth read to allow you to ask more informed questions to your consultant
on 31 January 2010
I have been diagnosed Prostate Cancer, caught in the early stages (T1 at age 58) and have had Brachytherapy, now looking for what can I do for the best to try to ensure best outcome. So bought this book and despite below comments recommend as it has a wealth of information on the subject. It is a very heavy read, several times I nearly abandoned it but glad I persevered. It is a mix of medical theory, a lot of academic references to data and studies to support Jane Plant's basic theory of "no Dairy". Without doubt she gathers a wealth of data in support of her theory, and is quite vigorous in putting down any opposing views. You would have to be an academic to follow up all her references to ensure they are quoted in context - the average person will just take these on trust and hope they are truly supportive and not just a convenient sentence or paragraph. That said her arguments are not very balanced. On the plus side, the arguments she gives are convincing and are really common sense -"milk and milk products, are stacked with hormones to support the baby.....Prostate Cancer is a hormone dependant Cancer" and "what other animal drinks another animal's milk for its whole life, not just the baby stage?" and "Nations (ie China) that do not use milk in their diet have low incidences of "hormone dependant cancers" - prostate, breast, ovarian etc etc." On the negative side, people do die in such countries of other cancers but she dismisses that they may be caused by the non dairy diet. One cannot help but wonder whether such a (non dairy) diet might lead to other cancers, ie stomach cancer which the Chinese do suffer from, though she easily dismisses this as probably caused by pesticides (no facts to support). The book becomes a bit of rant in the closing chapters on why western medicine and government health agencies continue to support the Dairy Industry when the link is "obvious" to hormonal cancers. I am only a layman, but I would have liked to see more balanced argument and less academic referencing. If the non dairy theory really is the way, wouldn't you expect her to be being hailed a hero especially by those influental academics that she so frequently references? Despite my above suspicions, I do support the book and her non dairy theory because it makes sense. I will migrate to it, but I am suspicious of what counter arguments that may have other consequences that she must have undoubtedly found in her research that she does not mention. Read the book with your "eyes open"! Prostate Cancer: Understand, Prevent and Overcome Prostrate Cancer
on 1 May 2013
This book makes more sense than anything else I have read on this subject.
I have been following Jane's advice for several weeks now and have given up dairy products, it is too early to tell if my PSA levels have lowered yet, I do not have Prostate cancer but it is enlarged, however I am using the same advice. But I have noticed various other improvements in my health. It is a good read and would recommend her advice to anyone as our Western diets are so processed with too much reliance on diary products.
on 12 July 2013
I bought this book because I already have Professor Jane Plant's book on breast cancer, which I bought years ago and I think what she says makes extremely good sense. I have bought this for a neighbour with prostate cancer, so although I haven't read this one myself I'm sure she applies her extensive knowledge very sensibly to this subject.
on 9 September 2017
A helpful read, thank you.
on 17 January 2013
Informative, well written this book told me everything I wanted or needed to know I found it very useful and would happily recommend it to anyone. It is a book I think all men should read It takes away alot of the mystery and fear It is easy to follow and a pocket sized handy reference
on 25 August 2016