Customer reviews

Men!: Forget the fiction! Where are the interesting and available men?
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2007
I'm recommending this book to all my friends, whether single or not. It's fresh, realistic, very funny and comes up with some fantastic insights into why men and women don't see things the same way in relationships. Isabel Losada goes well beyond the obvious places in her exhaustive search for available men (who, it turns out, are not the same as single men). Plus, it must be said, her necessary trials of dating sites and singles events are spot on - carbon copies of my own experiences in fact - and I found it difficult not to laugh out-loud in recognition, while reading Men! on the tube. Anyone who is fed up with being single and wondering why they never meet anyone half decent will get a whole different perspective by reading this. If you concentrate on having adventures and doing the things you love, you may just meet someone along the way, but in the meantime you'll be enjoying Life, not moping about waiting for that fictitious perfect man. I was bursting with positive energy by the end.
on 26 April 2007
like james i am absolutely engrossed in isabels book at the moment, its a fascinating, poignant, hilariously funny and wonderful read. im a lesbian so picked it up thinking it wouldnt be hugely relevant to me but seeing as i loved 'battersea park' and 'a beginners guide' i wanted to see what isabel had been up to next and i must say it IS relevant to EVERYONE who lives and breathes. its an absolute joy to read and utterly absorbing, be prepared to read it from cover to cover so start it when you've got a free couple of days! isabel losada is an author who never fails to deliver and inspire, i now want to ride a harley davidson and go diving in egypt(...i may even give plumbing a go!) but i'll give internet dating and singles night a miss for now!
on 23 May 2007
There's always something very enjoyable about Isabel Losada's books. She gets her point across and makes you think in new ways without being overly obnoxious and preachy about it. In her latest endeavour - Men! Where the **** are they" she sets out on a quest to find some interesting and available men; something many a woman has tried and failed to do, not just in big cities like London, where Losada's book is set, but the world over. Losada does suffer for her sisters throughout "Men!", from a broken wrist to a broken heart, but she does it with such humour you can't help but laugh with her. Honest, open and very human, Losada captures the troubles and travails, the peaks and troughs, the pleasures and pitfalls of the eternal search for the elusive male. We follow her through the jungles and horrors of internet dating, speed-dating and singles' events, we hang out with the builders, the stockbrokers and everyone in between, in the search for an interesting and available man. Although possible to find, they do remain quite elusive still despite her exhaustive search, but Losada might just have found the answer to why that is, instead. A great read and, as I found when reading it on public transport, a good way to grab a man's attention.
on 10 May 2007
I came to this book having read "Battersea Park Road" and "Tibet", and it has the same Losada openess and honesty that made those books such a good read. I did find it funny and interesting, but won't be recommending it to any other blokes: the thing with Harry was frustrating when it kept on popping up, and the theme of the book just wasn't for me. It did made me think about relationships, and the finish about trust, honesty and respect was spot on. I have bought a copy for a female friend, and the four star rating is for the girls out there.
on 15 June 2007
Isabel Losada goes on a series of adventures in a quest to find interesting, single available men. Although she finds but fails to win her man she succeeds in exploring the essential differences and similarities between men and women in affairs of the heart in an accessible, humorous and informative way. Despite these differences, we are all looking to love and be loved and Isabel suggests a new radical honesty between men and women as the basis of more genuine relationships. This is a warm, intelligent book. A must read for both men and women.

I enjoyed this book so much I have bought several copies and sent them to my friends.
on 11 May 2007
Hilariously funny and at times brutally honest - typically Isabel Losada in fact! The title of this book belies the contents within.

Follow Isabel on her 'no holds barred' quest to find 'interesting and available men' Having met the person how could I not take up the challenge, I was not disappointed, her open and honest approach are perfect almost to the point of fault.

Written for Women, suitable for Men this book does not disppoint and did she succeed in her quest? - well you will just have to read it and find out!

I hope you are ready for this!!

Dave
on 7 May 2007
Having finished "Men!" I immediately started to re-read it and I have never, ever done that before. OK so this book is very relevant to me and my life right now, but even if it wasn't it's funny and makes you think about relationships. I also want all my friends to read it so have had to buy another copy for lending out as I am re-reading mine. I've now joined the local climbing club - read the book to find out why.
on 7 June 2007
This is utterly fantastic. The author is funny, brave, witty, as the reviews say, sharp and insightful and clever - I could go on and on. What so impressed me was firstly, that she chose to tackle this almost impossible issue in the first place and secondly that she continued to do so whilst not pulling any punches or resorting to Hollywood happy endings. There are too many patronising books for single women out there that pretend that if you go to your local supermarket with your lipstick on you are miraculously going to meet someone that you are going to want to be the father of your children. Like the author I have many many single female friends of all ages that are without men in their lives, without fathers and without lovers. They are mostly successful career women. What Losada tackles in this book is the myth that, because they are alone, there is supposedly something wrong with them. This book proves, once and for all, that this is not the case. I would give this book six or seven stars if I could. I couldn't recommend it more highly for single women everywhere. It's utterly essential reading. And it made me laugh out loud on the tube too. Buy one for your single girlfriends too - it will cheer them up.
on 10 May 2007
Okay so it may not be what we wanna hear but it needed to be said.. and it's weird because Men are somehow a taboo subject but that doesn't stop Isabel Losada no no!

In this book Isabel does what she does best - takes a difficult subject and takles it with great humour, wit and huge compassion. Well done!
on 2 October 2007
I Bought this book when it was released a few months ago and read it from cover to cover in one sitting, and now I am reading it again and savouring the style and humour. I can best describe this book by saying that I wish I had read it thirty years ago! It should be compulsory reading for anyone embarking on a relationship, or anyone in a relationship, anyone who has just finished a relationship, or even anyone who has no interest in relationships. In fact, anyone over the age of sixteen should be made to read "MEN" and take an exam in it before being allowed to even meet members of the opposite sex! Isabel just seems to be able to spell out the issues that emerge between men and women, and to do so in a fun way while at the same time being informative and inspiring. I am a great fan of Isabel's writing, and I eagerly await the companion volume which must surely be called "WOMEN".
If you are a man, you cannot even begin to leave the safety of your own home before you have armed yourself with a copy of this book. If you are a woman, the book will do exactly what is says on the cover -- it will explain where the men have got to. Buy it, it may well save your life!