Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2002
This book is among the crème de la crème of all rock books. It is the product of sensational original research. The work that Neill and Kent must have put in to uncover all this information and these breathtaking illustrations, many of them never seen before, is simply awesome to consider. The result is no mere list but an absorbing, factually spot-on history, a living, breathing, driving account of the lives of four fascinating and highly original young men. Entwistle, Daltrey, Townshend and Moonie - this is/was your lives. (I heard the authors met with Entwistle and presented him their book just a couple of days before the guitarist died. He returned the compliment by enjoying a long look through the book and signing them a generous message in one of their copies.) This book is not cheap to buy but it is simply packed with love and devotion. Treat yourself.
on 23 March 2010
As a big fan of The Who, moreso during the era up to Keith Moon's death, (which is covered here), than their later works and gigs, I just can't praise this enough. Obviously someone as close to any band would be able to get something like this together, but rather like Bill Wyman with The Stones, must have made copious notes at the time.
Having just written a book about the Bournemouth rock scene between 1960 and 1980, I had more than my share of trawling through local newspaper microfilm archives. But I still didn't find anywhere near the information contained in this book, in fact, it had a Who gig I attended in Bournemouth which I could find no local record of at all. I knew I had seen them 3 times at Bournemouth's Pavilion, found 2, and this book had the 3rd; before that I thought I had perhaps imagined it.
But this is a mine of information and tales on the road every Who fan will adore, there are not many photos, but the attention to detail in the text more than makes up or it.
on 27 October 2012
I am very glad I got this book. This is the definitive history on the band The Who up to the passing of Keith Moon. I am amazed at the wealth of music that they recorded that still has not been officially issued such as the Tommy rehearsals that the band did before embarking on their first tour of Tommy. There are also many concerts that have not been heard. I enjoyed reading the stories about how the band survived the 60s and became a huge band by 1974. After 1974 they seemed to get somewhat worn out, although they did produce some great music after 1974 they did become more dependant on alcohol, drugs and other personal issues that many other musicians encountered in the 1970s excesses. A great book, very informative and enjoyable.
on 7 October 2009
I have to say this is a very thorough and methodical roundup of The Who's career in almost a diary format. It's full of observational material but I find myself looking forward to the chapter beginnings for a bit more details. If you're looking for a narrative book about the story of The Who I would look elsewhere. I would certainly recommend "Dear Boy" - the story of Keith Moon. A huge book that makes you want to take up and quit sex, drugs and rock n roll in about 1,000 pages! Fantastic read.
Vey interesting if you were around in the 60s to see the places they played and remeber the venues. The Oldfield, Goldhawk Road, Forrest Gate, Greenwich Town Hall and the story of why. Not sure all the stories are here though. It's a very comprehensive list of gigs and venues but if you wanted a full scale biography ofthe band this book will need to be complimented with more litrature. I played in a warm up band at the same gigs as the Who in 64. Some of the stories are missing. I don't know anything about the light green commer van eventually conking out on the A1 - but I do remember The Who's previous management turning up at A Wealdstone gig and 'repossing' the van, because all the Who's gear had to go into our van to get it home. Maybe some stories are so un-rock-and-roll they need to be rubbed out?
on 9 December 2013
Yes, yes - this book does exactly what it says on the tin - but seriously, how badly do you need to know what Roger Daltrey was doing on the 4th February 1972..? To be honest, I skipped through quite a lot of the shorter entries... the 2,412 gigs they played in Stevenage, etc., etc... only really finding anything *serious* to chew on in the annual start-of-chapter summaries. Even in these, though, there wasn't *masses* of reflection on the music... not what the book's really about, I know, but surely more relevant and interesting than how many guitar strings yer uncle Pete broke in April 1965*. Just me..?

* - It was 4,723.
on 28 May 2014
As a fan for 50 years I wanted a book which describes their early history from the Detours through the High Numbers to the Who.
This is a great book with anecdotes on how songs were written and the troubles they had touring in the early days.
Also has tour dates which includes other groups on the bill.
I also have the 'Who concert file' book which compliments this book.
on 9 March 2013
If you love the Who this is an essential read, everything you could possibly want to know about thier recording and performing history
on 7 September 2014
Excellent read well researched and hard to put down
on 14 January 2016
Very informative and excellently researched.