Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2004
Having purchased Rick's other books on the subject I wanted to have a copy of this to keep with me whilst out and about, as this diet really works. Now, whilst shopping I can check exactly what is Green Light and what is not, this little book will be with me all the time, great handbag or pocket size. The book is split into three sections: Larder/Pantry, Eating out,and the actual GI Guide foods list. The Shopping Guide also has information on reading labels on products in store and is very enlightening. The fast food section is particularly useful,giving some idea of where to grab a quick bite safely, especially when out with friends. Well worth spending £4.99 on.
0Comment| 305 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2004
Wow, this book has changed my world! I have struggled for years to loose weight and keep it off. Now I feel that I have been given the privilege of knowing the secret to weigh loss. I just wish I had found this book fifteen years ago (instead of messing about with the usual diets out there). Once the book arrived - I read it cover to cover and it made sense. I have been on the diet now for three weeks and lost 9lbs - I know that weight is coming off and I feel great, more energy and my skin/hair has improved too. I am never hungry! It has given me the confidence to know that I don't have to worry about diet and weight anymore - it is so easy! I love the recipies in the book and look forward to trying them out. If you want to loose weight - what are you waiting for - buy this book!
0Comment| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2010
A really good little book that lists the GI/ sugar rush impact of all foods. Product names are given to help identify the "good" and "bad" GI foods when wandering around a super market. As someone newly diagnosed with diabetes, I find this little book very helpful without too much information that I can I can read and implement good practise easily.
on 16 June 2005
I already own "Living the GI diet" and feel this book was a minature condensed version published for pure profit! If you cannot grasp what foods are acceptable on the GI diet when out and have living the GI diet then just photocopy the relevant lists!
A warning to those who do not have "Living the GI diet" dont buy this to save money because the info on why the diet works and other bits are deliberately left out so you would have to buy the first book anyway!!
on 23 August 2005
Nice and easy to store,take it with you where ever you go, sneak it out and take a look before you order your food,use it when shopping or before you make your shopping list.
on 3 March 2009
This book seems to contradict other available GI advice. The Glycemic Index measures the effect of Carbohydrates on blood glucose levels. However in this book meat (which contains no carbohydrate) is often listed under the 'red-light' (no-no)category. This seems illogical to me.
Also coffee is listed as 'red-light' but tea is 'green light'.

I think this book will help people to lose weight because the 'green' choices are healthy but I'm not convinced that the GI ratings are accurate - so I'm saying one star because that's supposed to be the point of the book.
on 17 February 2015
I was disappointed. This book was not really about low GI diets but calorie and fat control. It stressed reducing portion sizes and cutting down fat. However the point of the GI diet is not really calories but avoiding hyperglycaemia by eating food that only slowly releases glucose. Since mixing carbohydrates with fat can slow their absorption, eating a low fat diet is counter-productive from the GI point of view even if beneficial for other reasons. Null points. I shall be asking for my money back. :-(
on 31 October 2015
Great book for clueless diabetics who have no idea about how good affects their levels as its colour coded and slips in your pocket or bag. Even has takeaway meals in and tells you exactly which ones at a glance you should be eating to keep your sugar stable.
on 15 March 2015
First things first, this is not a simple '2 week diet plan' followed by 'Hey ive lost half a stone' and 'Fancy a kebab and Ben and Jerrys for dessert, I'l start my diet tomorrow'.

The actual GI Diet is a lifetime eating arrangement to which you WILL find good weight loss results

This book is to be used in conjunction to Ricks other book 'The GI Diet' and is especially great to take with you on your weekly shop. The book is arranged as you'd find the foods in aisles under the now popular Red, Yellow and Green System. If you fill your cupboards with the low GI foods (green coloured ones), You will find the plan easier to stick to.
on 26 May 2011
This book has a lot of information in it, but not all of it was relevant to me. I found I looked a little silly walking round the supermarket with this book trying to figure out what was good in GI terms. As I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, I got bored with it, as it took too much time to work everything out. What would normally be a 20 minute shopping trip ended up taking over an hour....I probably worked the calories off from standing around and looking for food out of the book rather than from the diet itself :o) It is a great diet and I have seen other people get some good results, but it wasn't for me when it came to this shopping guide book. The recipe book from the same range was a lot more beneficial.