on 14 May 2018
I purchased this book after it was recommended in a newsletter by Jeremy Nicholas (professional public speaker), and whilst I have benefited from several of Jeremy's recommendations in the past, I'm afraid this wasn't one of them.

The book isn't terrible, it has some good snippets of advice, but it was a real chore to read it cover-to-cover. A lot of the advice in the book revolves around learning long-winded scripts and a lot of them are mediocre at best. Bob even advocates plagiarism in one part of the book and a lot of the jokes and anecdotes would come across as contrived, if used by a speaker.

The book is definitely dated, a lot of the jokes are lame, politically incorrect and based on dated stereotypes. If you're serious about improving your public speaking, I would recommend 'The Exceptional Speaker' by Alan Stevens and Paul Du Toit instead. If you're a "part-time" public speaker, looking to simply improve your talks, I would recommend 'Confessions of a public speaker' by Scott Berkun, which is written in a conversational style.

I haven't read any books on how to become better at comedy/joke-telling so I have no recommendations if that's what draws you to this book, save to say this book didn't make me laugh much, and I think it's far more effective to provide your own comedy from your own stories/experiences, rather than ripping off someone else's.
on 21 October 2015
Brilliant book by a great man. I used it to prepare for a best man speech and it was really useful, full of great transferable advice for various occasions. He comes across like a witty, methodical, conscientious performer and there was a clear craft to his work, and he was keen to provide advice for others based on countless years of experience.
on 14 May 2017
Bob monkhouse. A master of the appearance the pause the joke the serious point made. This is a masterpiece of advice. Read and weep if you have ever had a speech disaster. If,if, only you had bought this book first!
on 20 November 2016
Every speaker in training needs this book. Bob's writing style and understanding of the entire speaking environment is genius. The book is so easy to read with no fancy jargon, just straight reading with excellent examples that fit almost every situation. A genius in his discipline. It has been really successful for me.
One person found this helpful
on 5 April 2015
There is good structure to this book and you will find some valuable and timeless advice in here on preparing and making all kinds of speeches. However, much of the humour is very dated and probably wouldn't raise a laugh today. Stick with the underlying principles and you will learn useful things from Mr Monkhouse. I would recommend buying this book if you can get it at a low price, but unless you're going to a 1970s/1980s after dinner speaking convention (are there such things??) then much of it is more a history of British humour than a useful guide for modern public speaking.
on 22 July 2015
I would like to say how thoroughly I enjoyed this book. It was so very funny. Bob Monkhouse is a very funny man I wish I had met him. The T.V. shows he did were also fantastic.
on 8 June 2018
A great book, easy to read and fun too.
on 8 March 2016
He has a joke for every occasion and every subject all in his head, a privilege to have him share his humour with is in this book of laughs.
on 28 August 2015