VINE VOICEon 4 January 2011
Charming and delightful story of a little blue-eyed cat's adventures as he attempts to find an ordinary loving home instead of serving his entire life as a 'Witch's Cat'.

One of the best and most enchanting stories/chapters in my opinion is 'The little Princess' which is delightful in its story-telling.

In another; two Knights compete for the hand of a lady who spends her days alone shut up in a Tower in the middle of a lonely Forest with only an old maid and 'Gobbolino' for company! I could read this story over and over again...

Enchanting illustrations done in the old style accompany these enthralling adventures in the 'Kingfisher Classics' Edition. Each chapter encompasses a different temporary home little Gobbolino manages to find; featuring Witches, Princesses, Punch and Judy, and other animals - there's even a 'Hobgoblin'!

'Gobbolino The Woodcutter' is also another of my favourites, as I love any story with a Witch - and the more wicked the better!!

Simply Magic!

ADVENTURE HIGHLIGHTS; 'Hobgoblin', 'The Little Princess', 'Punch And Judy', 'Gobbolino In The Tower' and 'Gobbolino The Woodcutter'.

on 2 December 2015
I ordered this secondhand as no longer in print. The book I received was in good condition. Shame it didn't have the same front cover as advertised as it was the one I remember as a child. I must have got a later/ or earlier addition, but it doesn't change the lovely story inside. Just started reading it with my 6yr old.
One person found this helpful
on 8 November 2017
Absolutely fantastic story, and lovely illustrations from Catherine Rayner, who also famously illustrated The Tales of Olga Da Polga, and many other books.
on 8 January 2017
I bought this book to go in my daughter's Christmas Eve box. I had never heard of this book before, but it is a story that my girlfriend grew up with. In fact she named one of her cats after a cat in the story. (Not Gobbolino though. You're going to have to read the book to find out the name of the other cat) My daughter, aged 9, really loved the story and it is her that gives the book 5 stars.
on 3 May 2010
I remember being read this story at school and taking it out of the school library several times to read it again. I loved this story and remember happiness and tears when reading it. I am now in the process of reading it to my youngest child. I do tend to change a few words to make it more PC for my son but I am really enjoying the story over again more than thirty years down the line! it is a charming tale and remains in my list of favourite books.
on 29 November 2011
I read this story as a series when it was published in the magazine/tape series called Storyteller in the eighties. I recall waiting eagerly for the next instalment. I am delighted I have discovered this as a book and have now ordered it for my little bookworm. as it happens I can not recall any other story that was told in those magazines, and that reads volumes. can not wait to read it to the kids.
7 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 19 July 2010
what a brilliant book.
i had this as a child (im in my mid 40s now) and i loved the book. read it again and again well into my teens. ordered it for my 8 yr old son and he also loves it.
gobbolino is born a witches cat but he just doesnt have the heart for it. all he wants is to be a kitchen cat. this is the story of his quest to become a normal kitty.
highly recommend it. 10/10