on 6 December 2001
I rememeber having this read to me as a child in infant school and I still remember being mesmerised even 20 years down the line. As a result I look forward to reading it to my god children when they are 5-6. It is in essence a tale of Gobbolino fighting against prejudice and seeking the love and acceptance amonst his peers, with plenty of adventures along the way .This, as with the rest of U M Williams books, is achieved without being overly patronising or sacherine in its tone. It is worth also reading Adventures of the Wooden Horse as very much in the same genre. A book that suits independent reading from the about the age of 6 or as a storytime book for 4-5 onwards. If I remember correctly theres even a song to accompany the book and luckily for you I cant abuse your ears by singing it!
33 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2011
I read this story as a series when it was published in the magazine/tape series called Storyteller in the eighties. I recall waiting eagerly for the next instalment. I am delighted I have discovered this as a book and have now ordered it for my little bookworm. as it happens I can not recall any other story that was told in those magazines, and that reads volumes. can not wait to read it to the kids.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2017
Wonderful childrens book. Really enjoyed reading this to my child.
on 1 February 2016
remembered this from reading to my children It did not disappoint
on 3 August 2016
Highly recommended! Great service and I love this book! Thank you :)
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2011
Charming and delightful story of a little blue-eyed cat's adventures as he attempts to find an ordinary loving home instead of serving his entire life as a 'Witch's Cat'.

One of the best and most enchanting stories/chapters in my opinion is 'The little Princess' which is delightful in its story-telling.

In another; two Knights compete for the hand of a lady who spends her days alone shut up in a Tower in the middle of a lonely Forest with only an old maid and 'Gobbolino' for company! I could read this story over and over again...

Enchanting illustrations done in the old style accompany these enthralling adventures in the 'Kingfisher Classics' Edition. Each chapter encompasses a different temporary home little Gobbolino manages to find; featuring Witches, Princesses, Punch and Judy, and other animals - there's even a 'Hobgoblin'!

'Gobbolino The Woodcutter' is also another of my favourites, as I love any story with a Witch - and the more wicked the better!!

Simply Magic!

ADVENTURE HIGHLIGHTS; 'Hobgoblin', 'The Little Princess', 'Punch And Judy', 'Gobbolino In The Tower' and 'Gobbolino The Woodcutter'.
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2014
It's a shame that some children were given this too soon or too late. It's a wonderful story if Gobbolino's quest to shake of his destined role as a witch's cat and instead become a plain kitchen cat. Children do have to be old enough to take his set backs (6-7) but if they can handle suspense and realise that he'll make it in the end it's brilliant. He's such a quiet gentle hero and he can't bear to be unkind. It's just lovely.
on 3 May 2015
This is such a beautiful childhood memory for me. I read this with my mum in the mid to late 80s. The tale has stayed with me ever since and once in a while crops back into my mind.
I think in my early twenties I had lent this book to a friend and it never found its way home (I just hope whoever it was I lent it to enjoyed it as much as me! :) )
I'm glad I have found it again and will need to buy a replacement. Pity it's not on Kindle though as I'm trying to reduce shelf space!

Highly recommend this book, especially if you have children to read it too as it will become part of their cherished memories.
on 15 June 1999
I first read this book at about age eight and it has stayed with me ever since.
The story is of a witch's cat who desperately wants to be a kitchen cat, in spite of the blue sparks that sometimes fly from his ears! Gobbolino's adventures are full of magic, fun and that tiny chunk of unfairness put to rights that children love.
This is a lovely book for reading aloud to young children, or for slightly older children to read themselves. The chapters, which are short enough for a child to read in about 15 minutes, are all self-contained and can be read out of context or in order.
The themes of rejection and discrimination are modern enough, and the stories are charming and often include a bit of a twist - an orphanage where gruel is turned into sugar-plumbs, a cat (albeit a witch's cat) playing dog Toby in a Punch and Judy show and a maiden in a tower who wants neither of her two knightly suitors are just a few.
My only complaint is that the pictures are of poor quality (black and white drawings) and are few and far between.
All in all a charming tale which gets to the point very early on in the story (important for young readers).
Strongly recommended
on 3 February 2007
I bought this book recently for myself (I am in my twenties) because I remember having loved it so much as a child. Once again I was totally enchanted by this wonderful story, Gobbolino really is a classic joy, for children and adults alike. Buy a copy for the children and keep a copy on your own bookshelf with pride!