on 20 April 2017
It's not going to win any literary prizes and most of the characters are deeply unlikeable (especially the women unfortunately), but it will keep you hooked until the end.

Sadly the ultimate revelation (intentional "twist") comes completely left of centre and has almost nothing to do with the rest of the story.

I would recommend suspending your disbelief (and the urge to go "but, but, but...") and just enjoy the ride.
The Accident - Linwood Barclay

Before I start reviewing a book I like to see what others have said. No exception to that here either, so why have I given it five stars where others have given a one, two or three? Because I think that sometimes we can be so blind in a relationship that we really can't understand when something completely out of character takes place and this is how I felt for Glen after he discovers that his wife had been driving drunk, killing not just herself, but two other people.

Glen tries to hold it together for his daughter and his business but then his daughter Kelly's best friend Emily loses her mother supposedly also to an accident and Glen starts to question what is really going on in suburban Milford.

Having read my other Linwood Barclay reviews I can understand what people are saying about the plots. He seems to take pretty normal family situations and turn innocent people's lives on their heads, so yes, a repeating pattern, having said that, I haven't read one of his books for years, so had forgotten this pattern and as a result enjoyed how the plot twists and turns.
on 23 June 2017
Linwood Barclay is my favourite author and this book was excellent. His books are so easy to read. You cant stop and have to keep turning the pages. I highly recommend this.
on 5 September 2017
"Too Close to Home" and "Never look Away" are better.
"The Accident" very muddled. Characters all confused am 75% thru and packing it in.
Still totally boring and confusing.
on 13 May 2017
Most enjoyable with a good plot and nicely tied together conclusion. No loose ends left behind. Even squeamish readers like me can cope with Linwood Barclay's books as he doesn't revel in gory description like some authors.
on 23 March 2017
Slow at first but once it got going I couldn't out it down. Looking forward to his next one. Keep it up.
on 11 May 2017
Good read kept me wondering who why when what how and it didn't disappoint with good dialogue, nice twists and easy reading
on 6 April 2017
I love the way Linwood writes about ordinary people who somehow end up in some sort of trouble, this book is no different, not a macho ex military special forces or FBI super slooth to be seen, just ordinary people sorting it out on their own. Gripping to the end, well done again.
on 18 July 2017
Once you start to read it you don't want to put it down, there's always a twist,
on 2 August 2017
Good,suspenseful from beginning to end!