Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2014
What a delight to find Miss Read has made her way to kindle. I am very happy that the original drawings from the paper books are included in the kindle versions - they add to the charm and humour of these gentle stories. Not all e-books do this - I'm thinking particularly of the Lillian Beckwith Hebridean books, so much is lost without the drawings. I love the Village School series as it reminds me of how life used to be in reality as opposed to how life at this time, (1950s), is depicted in modern books and television programs which tend towards either grimness or syrupy sweetness. In the Miss Read books there is the peace and beauty of the countryside side by side with the frustration of lack of amenities and public transport; the joy of good neighbours alongside the irritations of living in a small community. I have read and re-read this over the years and will do so again.
on 23 July 2017
I have bought all the Miss read books, I love them and often re-read them.
on 18 May 2017
Good book and audio.
on 25 March 2017
Good as all of her books are
on 15 July 2017
Lovely
on 25 March 2013
All of Miss Read's books are a joy to read, you're there in the past with her, unputdownable! That's it!
on 26 April 2014
So relaxing and what a refreshing change to have no sex,swearing or violence. A veritable transport of delights into a gentler kinder charming era!!
on 29 September 2013
I am a big fan of the Miss Read books and summer at Fairacre is no exception. These books are a lovely gentle read, full of humour and a love of the countryside.
on 26 August 2013
I love all the Miss Read books and wish I had found them all before I have now read most of them, all of Fairacre's and most of Thrush Green.
on 12 May 2013
Once more Miss Read gave an enjoyable story leaving me wanting more. I look forward to the next one.
The book arrived well within time.