Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2016
Having put off for a long time trying Rankin (possibly because I felt it a tad old) I finally picked up the first of the Rebus books for my kindle... I'm hooked. He's such an interesting character and the story had me gripped from the start. To the point I downloaded books 2 - 4 and have almost completed all of those! Why oh why have I left it so long to enjoy these? On the plus side at least there isn't a long wait until book 5 and onward!
on 15 March 2017
I have read a couple of Rebus books but they were both later ones. I have decided to start at the beginning and I am glad that I did. I think by reading Knots and Crosses you learn so much about Rebus as a character. The story is quite simple really and not like his complex later cases. I will definitely be reading the next one.
on 18 July 2017
Having largely ignored Rankin for most of my life, my high expectations of this established writer were almost bound to be disappointed. A pot-boiler stitch-up of Christie, Hitchcock and Greene might be considered acceptable for an unknown author, and perhaps the sex helped sell the book back along. The storytelling is competent, of course, but the plot is just not credible. An improbably named policeman with an improbable drug-dealing hypnotist brother and an improbable army background that he improbably can't remember. Please.... And character development? I didn't know anymore about Rebus at the end of the book than I did at the beginning. Perhaps I should dip into a later volume? I might not bother.
on 21 July 2016
Good plot but difficult to read. Never had I read a book with so many words I didn't understand in my vocabulary. Some pages I had to read more than once, as it didn't flow well. It wasn't a relaxing read.
on 28 June 2017
I really enjoyed this book - It was my first Inspector Rebus story but won't be the last!
I thought Ian Rankin's introduction really enhanced the experience, the character of Rebus was fascinating and complex, pure gold from start to finish.
on 15 July 2017
I was very disappointed. I found it extremely irritating that the author had his characters using each other's names all the time (this does not happen in real conversations), & I found the story line so tedious that I gave up after two chapters.
on 19 August 2017
I've done this the wrong way round and read a rebus book before this one. This is the beginning, and I loved it. Great story, great characters including the complicated Rebus.
on 18 July 2017
Bought this as Rankin is highly regarded, it was pretty crap to be honest but it's his first novel & im told his stuff improves. On the basis of this outing, it needs to.
on 9 August 2017
Having read a lot of Rankin's Rebus books over the years I was curious to read his first one and was not disappointed. I found it interesting to see how the Rebus character has changed since this first book and also how well Rankin has developed as a writer. A good book well written.
on 12 August 2016
This highly complex murder mystery is our introduction to DS John Rebus, himself a truly complex character. Beset with his own personal demons, Rebus is a law unto himself. Addictive reading.