The Twelve (Passage Trilogy 2)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2017
I tried so hard with this book. I wanted to love it as much as I loved the first book. But it was so disjointed that it took me three attempts to get into it at all. So many different plot strands that never really made any logical sense. I was hoping for the loose ends in The Passage to be tied up - instead they became more unravelled. The unanswered questions remained unanswered for me and there are now more of them.

I'm sure I missed bits - maybe I need to read it again, but I can't face it. There were events that didn't make any sense and I'm not sure if they were real or imaginary. Amy grew up but never really came into her own the way I expected (and wanted) her to. The other characters fared slightly better, but their coming together seemed contrived and ultimately pointless. I loved The Passage and I wish I'd stopped there.
4 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2017
'The Twelve', by Justin Cronin, is the second book of 'The Passage' trilogy, and continues the story following the dramatic conclusion of book 1. Once again, I must congratulate the author for writing another thoroughly enjoyable, clever and engrossing read. This time we are given some of the back history to the first book with the introduction of several new characters. The story continues apace with the hunt for 'The Twelve' (the original Virals from book 1), but leading to a very unexpected yet dramatic conclusion.

Overall, this book is a fantastic apocalyptic thriller and I look forward to reading the final instalment of this trilogy. If you enjoy dystopian, end-of-the-world, contemporary horror, then you won't be disappointed.
One person found this helpful
on 20 June 2016
Read it a few years ago after The Passage (first in the set) as was completely hooked. Just re- ordered to speed read as the final part of the trilogy is published and many said they had wished they had gone back and reaquainted themselves with the main characters before the final 'virals/smokes' showdown. I'm making the OH read parts 1 and 2, then he can have this final chapter when we are on holiday later this year (making him wait ha ha). No jumping in without doing his homework.

I couldn't wait to get to bed early with the first two. Page turner that keeps you going way past midnight! 10 stars if I could.

As for the seller. Fast service, book is in very smart good condition given it has been pre-loved. Would recommend.
on 22 May 2016
I read this book in four days on holiday last week and after reading some of the reviews on here i have to say that i wasn't looking particularly forward to it as i was the first book but after about 10% of the book i was hooked and simply fell into it, my poor wife hardly got a word out of me for the following few days. I thought the familiar feel of the characters and the story picking up where it left off was seamless. JC is a fantastic writer and has a knack of being able to grab the reader by the scruff and throw him into to adventure. Im now only 2 days from the last book being released and i cannot wait.
Also im not going to take much stock of reviews on here because some people are simply impossible to please.
on 9 October 2015
Cronin was no flash in the pan with The Passage. This sequel continues the vampire legend he created in the first book and deepens the myth.
You have to read this intelligent novel. It combines fierce depth of detail with wit and insight while tipping readers into a maelstrom of imagineering excellence. Visually adept, these novels cry out to be adapted for the screen. The action is there, the characterisations are there and the epic set pieces are there, from the solar eclipse that starts the action to the events in an arena that ends it.
Courage, madness and evil are writ large on these pages. Enjoy a masterclass in its genre..
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2013
*Gigantic spoilers ahoy*

I did really enjoy The Twelve, but not sure I liked it as much as The Passage.

I loved the creepy conceit of a strange woman luring children away, and that it was Lila was a nice touch. But there is a lot of backstory to the colony - an awful lot - that doesn't really go anywhere and while beautifully written, doesn't add very much - the sequence where they go to the lake seemed to go on forever, and I expected some big payoff that doesn't really come off.

Perhaps unfairly (it's not cool to criticise the book someone didn't write, I guess) I thought the book would dwell more on the individual members of the Twelve and the quest to take them down, but instead they are drawn together and disposed of a little summarily. Only one of them is properly developed as any kind of antagonist, and it felt a little like a missed opportunity.

That said, I love the characters of Carter and Amy and there is an awful to like in these books - The Passage was one of my favourite books of the last few years; it's so gorgeously creepy, bleak, and well-done, and maybe any sequel could never have made me as happy.
on 28 April 2018
I loved all 3 books. I can understand why people moaned about the third book but honestly I thought it was great. Loved the back story and the way the tension built and yes even the ending. I came to the series late so I luckily didn't have to wait between books. This is one series I will re-read over the coming months. Can't wait to see what Justin Cronin will write next.
on 16 May 2014
Before I get into reasons why this book didn't entirely jive with me, let me say that overall I did enjoy this book and if you read The Passage then you should read this too.

What frustrated me though, is that there is a lot of effort given over to back story, and characters drafted in to pad this out and its all suddenly swept under the rug. Characters you were led to care for disappear without a trace, and you're left wondering why you invested in them.

Then there's the ending, without spoiling it, I was not convinced by the logic of the finale. It seems the writing should have finished st two books and I don't believe a third is really necessary or will make much sense.

Time will tell. In the meantime, this is a long read and you do need some patience to get through some of the build up. Still, I enjoy Cronin's style and would recommend you give this s shot.
on 6 May 2014
Having read and enjoyed the Passage I was keen to get started on The Twelve. I initially bought it on my Kindle but the birth of a baby put paid to hours of undisturbed reading so I bought it as an audiobook for my work commute. I have to say that on the whole I found it gripping and exciting. I have read the other reviews on here and agree with elements of them but overall this book was not disappointing. I would have liked to know more about what happened to the initial group of survivors on the bus and I found the Lila character totally irritating in the immediate aftermath of the virus section of the book and just as annoying when she reappears later. Some of the lengthy "dream sequences" are a bit wordy and bizarre but on the whole the story flows and is well written. I was not at all bored and did not find any need to skip passages as other reviewers have commented they had to do.
on 17 April 2014
I was initially put off by the previous negative comments but eventually had to know the continuing story. How anyone could not love this is a mystery. The Twelve gives us not only the continuing story of Amy and Peter but also more background into the Project. New characters are introduced and their history is interwoven with the colony. The action and tension builds to a climactic conclusion leaving us with somewhat of an appetizer for the next instalment. As far as I am concerned the writing and characterisation is first class. If you loved the Passage you will really enjoy this sequel. First class storytelling and highly recommended.