on 19 September 2016
A riveting read... I literally couldn't put this book down. I was in tears at the unbelievable cruelty she and the other children endured and hope she finds peace and contentment in her life.
I wish her well and hope her demons are becoming less and less.
on 14 February 2013
A very interesting book that opened my eyes to the level of abuse that young girls were forced to endure after being put into institutions that were supposed to be caring for them. Some of the memories recounted are absolutely shocking and i am frankly amazed the author was able to overcome this terrible start in life and become a fully functioning member of society.

This book is very easy to read and you empathise so much with all the characters that you really want to read on to find out what happens to them all and if they ever escape the clutches of the evil nuns for good!
on 26 August 2017
My adopted mother was bought up by nuns in a Covent in Drogheda I never really thought much about until reading this book I never imagined nuns being so cruel not just in 1 establishment but 2 and it made me think whether my mother had been treated this way. Sadly I will never know now as she passed away 20 years ago.
I just couldn't put this book down it is very well written the author was very courageous in writing it
on 10 April 2013
It is terrible to know the sufferings some people have been through, especially as children. I found this book a compelling read, and finished it in a few hours, welling up on many an occasion throughout.
I will pass this on to family and friends to read, as I think it is a well written and frank account of a young girls memory growing up in a convent/ orphanage in Ireland.
on 15 May 2017
Just sad that these poor adults have had to wait for the truth to. finally be released. Only sad thing no mention that these wicked women who sheltered behind the power of the Catholic Church were ever shown the errors of their ways.
on 12 July 2017
Fantastic story told by Frances. True story,shocking abuse by nuns. This abuse happened in all the homes ran by nuns and survivors have taken them to court years later.
on 8 February 2013
A very sad book of abuse suffered by this lady at the hands of nuns.Unfortuneately the people who caused the abuse will never have to suffer or apologise. I grew up as a child in Ireland and saw abuse myself but just thought this was normal.
on 20 August 2017
I can not believe the cruelty of those nuns to poor forgotten children....how does one ever recover from such a brutal childhood
on 7 March 2011
This book is amazing Frances Riley details her years of abuse under these Nuns who in the name of religion
professed to be looking after these children this book just tears at your emotions you really feel as if you are
there with frances living the life she is living if you read nothing else in your life read this book it shows the human spirit as its best
It makes you look at religion in a whole new light .....
on 15 September 2013
I could not put this book down. It makes you laugh but more often makes you cry. Frances you are truly inspirational. I am privileged to have read your heartbreaking story and wish you much happiness throughout the rest of your life.