Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2006
Having read ALL Maureen Lee's novels, I eagerly awaited the release of Kitty & Her Sisters with great excitement! I can honestly say that I was totally gripped from start to finish and didn't want the book to end! The story is written with such warmth, love and attention to detail, and the characters are so believable, I found myself totally caught up in their lives and the experiences they had. Unlike Maureen's other books, this is written in the first person, which worried me a little initially - but I am happy to say that it only served to make the book even more interesting and gripping. Kitty, Claire, Norah and even Aileen involve the complexities and differing personalities that can be found in many families, but they all have their redeeming features and I grew to really like them all. Kitty faces many traumas and much heartache throughout her life, but ultimately she emerges as the sort of heroine I can totally relate to and admire. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone. I only hope it won't be too long before there is another new release from Maureen Lee - she is a wonderful talent and a brilliant storyteller. Long may she continue - she's the best!
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2007
as others have mentioned, and I will support them this is another gem from Maureen Lee. A real page turner, which took me a lovely sunny weekend to finish - I was gripped (as with many of her books) from the beginning. The characters feel like you personally know them, and there were times when I wanted to scream at them, Aileen and the girls mother in particular. Even the more minor characters, Faith, Hope, Dorothy still enable you to be weaved in amongst Kitty's story. I think I even fell in love with Cal - why does Kitty treat him so? I love the way, that the book covers many decades and my only criticism is that towards the end it feels slightly rushed as if everything was trying to be fitted in but that aside, it was a great read! I look forward to picking up the next Maureen Lee!
on 21 March 2015
I'm dumbfounded by the good reviews of this book! I've never read any of Maureen Lee's books and, if this is an example, I won't be reading any more. The storyline was almost totally unbelievable with the main character flitting from one unlikely lover to another after her initial romance early in the book. I found the narrator irritating especially when she tried to replicate a Belfast accent by presenting us with the standard English man's idea of a typical southern Irish accent and I was almost expecting her to say "'tis the little people" at some point! I suppose it can happen but the concept of a grown woman entering into a passionate relationship with a man she looked after as a child of three simply doesn't wash and then, believe it or not, her daughter ends up marrying that same man!!

I'm sorry if I'm giving away too much of the so called "plot" here but enough said.
on 22 March 2012
My partner is a voracious reader and enjoyed this book along with many others by the author, it only takes her a matter of a couple of nights to read these stories so I guess they are interesting enough.
on 8 November 2012
I just loved this book. Not the type of book I'd normally choose to read, but after having read the reviews, thought i'd try. Am glad I did, couldn't put it down. Was bought as a holiday read, but was read before I went.
on 6 June 2012
I read this book while recuperating from surgery and it was a real page turner. I have liked all of Maureen Lee's books which I have read but the characters in this book were so real. Would highly recommend it.
on 13 February 2007
I have just read "Kitty and her sisters" and found this a page turning book which I couldn't put down! Brilliant!! The book showed the warmth, friendliness and strong family importance that Liverpool has to offer. I also have 2 sisters whom I am very close with and this book made me really feel how important they are to me.

Through wit and great writing the author shows that even when things get you down, you can turn things round.

Definitely one of my favourite books! Just make sure you have nothing to do, because you'll find you won't be able to put this book down once you start it!!
on 8 June 2008
This was another great read from Maureen Lee. You can put yourself in the characters and live the story. I look forward to the next book from Maureen, as I have read all of her books.
on 3 September 2013
I enjoyed reading this and getting to know the sisters and their relationships, tensions and survival.
By the end of the book, you feel like you have known them personally, the author really tells a story that grips you and gets the emotions going. Another good read.
on 21 January 2007
I have read most of maureens books they are some of the best stories I have ever read.I was really looking forward to reading this one. It did not disappoint me.I could not put it down.great read thanks Maureen