on 12 May 2007
I totally agree with Fingal.

The author obviously knew her stuff - which is a nice change from the ever pervading slick & hollow novels. This knowledge, awareness and real interest in the era, people & lifestyle portrayed, enabled the creation of a vivid, imaginative and thoughtful novel (indeed novels) with real depth. In short, I was swept away by the story and the imagery.

I bought both The White Mare and the Dawn Stag at the same time - which was a good move, as it meant I didn't have to wait to carry on reading the next instalment of this top trilogy.

Whilst rather taken aback by the ending of Dawn Stag, I was not disappointed - rather, excited by the potential of the final instalment. I too await the next and final instalment - The Boar Stone - with bated breath!
on 8 May 2007
I can't actually believe the last review! The Dawn Stag literally took my breath away. I was physically and mentally spent by the end.I have never before been taken to a place by characters so completely. An outstanding follow-on from The White Mare.The known history between Celts and Romans was made clear in the hisorical notes at the end! Clearly the author was sticking to the facts she could not change and far from 'getting bored'she was being a good historical fiction author by researching well and illuminating something fascinating in Scottish history.Turning something so tragic into something so triumphant takes more skill...I certainly think!!I cannot wait to read the Boar Stone to finish the circle.
on 23 March 2007
Was bitterly disappointed at the ending of this book! It was going so well until the author obviously got bored of the characters and decided that drastic action was the only way to go... I won't give away the end but you would never have guessed it, especially considering there is still one more book to go in the trilogy. Not sure if i can be bothered to read the third book now. Having said all this the book up till the end was really really good. A great follow on from the While Mare and you see some great character development. I guess the author was looking to shock her audience, well she succeeded!!!
on 24 June 2006
Was anybody else really surprised by the ending of this??? I was under the impression that if it was a trilogy we'd be with the same characters all the way through... but apparently not. Anyway, I wont give away what happens. For anyone who read the first and is trying to decide whether to read the second, its definately worth a look. Though its a bit grimmer than the first (-some painful and very nasty things go on!) in many ways, it's also interesting, exciting, and has some funny and lovely moments -especially between Rhiann and Eremon. My problem with it was the same as with the first; that it simply had TOO MANY plot twists and surprises and thus descended into melodrama once or twice. I think Jules' creative talent could do with a prune here and there; maybe she's taking too much advice on input and plot devices and should keep things a bit simpler?

But i read this when I was ill in bed and really really enjoyed it; so none of these criticisms are major. I'm looking forward to seeing how she handles the third!
on 15 December 2013
This is a fabulous read, full of intrigue, plot, sub plot and a bit of romance .

If you like historical novels this is a must read

I found it hard to put down once I started, bang went the ironing and cleaning!
on 5 February 2009
A1+ an absolutly brilliant read the book started where the first volume finished, and it was extremely well written very dificult to put down until completed
AD 81 Britain is in the grip of a ruthless Roman official, Agricola, the Roman governor. He is intent upon subduing the remaining unconquered territory in the whole of Britain, Scotland or as the Romans called it Alba.

Rhiann is an Alban priestess who has been coerced into a political marriage to Eremon, an exiled Irish prince. But out of this joining of convenience has grown a powerful love story. In them lies the hopes of a whole nation.

Will they have the time to formulate any plans to thwart the forces of Rome, who are relentlessly advancing north toward Alba . . .

This book relates the story of a relatively small nation that is being remorselessly challenged by the might of one of the most powerful Empire's of the then known world.

I have been waiting in anticipation of this second book in the trilogy. I suppose I will now be doing the same for the third. Come on Jules get that word processor warmed up.
on 8 March 2012
I had already read this trilogy (borrowed from library) and wished to purchase them to read again. Being familiar with the area around Dunadd made them so much more meaningful. My copy was supplied by World of Book, from whom I had excellent service.
on 12 December 2010
I read and loved 'The White Mare', and really looked forward to this. But I didn't think it lived up to it. Yes, I enjoyed it. Yes, the characterization is good, the writing is lyrical and the plot is tight. But - a bit too much on the 'mythical' and a bit of melodramatic over-written emotion. Some truly touching, lovely scenes and well written battles, but, ultimately, an ending I found deeply unsatisfying.
Worth a read - but whilst I will go back to 'The White Mare', I'm not sure I would go back to this one.
on 26 April 2013
Gripping read. I read the 1st book in this triology. Immediately went on 2 the second and am now going straight into the third. An absolutely fascinating read.