Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2002
I have read (and listened to) most of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels and been thoroughly entertained. It was with some trepidation that I bought this tape, as I was expecting something that did not quite live up to the greatness of the Rebus tales. How wrong I was !!!
The action starts immediately, and the plot, and sub plots, intertwines around several characters all chasing a female assassin. Each plot always seems to have a twist in the tail, and you are kept wondering if the assassin will succeed, who is the target, and will any of the various characters stop her before she achieves her objective.
On the strength of this, I have just bought two other non-Rebus Rankin tapes. I am now looking forward to the next long car journey.
on 27 July 2010
Witch Hunt is the first Rankin novel I have read and was left wondering what all the fuss was about. Having nothing to go on, I am assuming this is not one of his better novels. It wasn't a bad read, but it wasn't anything I'd recommend. It started off interesting and then seemed to slow down to a pace I struggled to keep interested in. The plot did exactly what it says on the tin and brought me to a satisfying enough conclusion to an average book of its type. Having not read anything else of his, maybe I was just expecting more of Rankin.
on 15 August 2001
This novel seems to prove that the characters do the writing and without Rebus, Rankin doesn't quite cut it. The plot is unremarkable for the genre but the writing fails to induce the required level of anti-scepticism. I would go so far as to say that this dilutes Rankin's reputation, built on the his Rebus output. This lacks the usual colour, wit and intrigue and left me disappointed. I shall stick to Rebus in future.
on 19 December 2012
I have to admit I didn't finish it. I felt the plot contrived and couldn't identify with the characters. I found my interest very quickly waning and I don't very often fail to finish a book. Sorry Ian Rankin.
on 19 January 2015
I have read all of IRs Rebus books & also The Complaints where he introduced a new character that re appeared in a later Rebus novel, again a great book.
This book I think is a stand alone novel with a great plot of a retired detective brought back to assist in the manhunt for a female assassin in the country for a hit, but who?
The storyline reminds me heavily of Day of the Jackal which happens to be one of my favourite books, so this book gets a big thumbs up from me!
on 16 January 2002
Having not read his other work, there is no preconception to Rankin's work. This book was easy to read, didn't repulse or attract me in any way. All you need is that long train journey...
As espionage thrillers go this is quite firmly buried in the general mass of works. A few elements had me thinking 'oh, that's clever' but there was no great mystery and it all ended as it should...
Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.
on 25 April 2001
I enjoy writers who can hook your interest on the first page, and keep your interest right up to a cliff-hanger ending. I've read nearly all of the Rebus books by this author-enjoying them immensely, but Witch Hunt is even better than the dour Scotsman.
This book has all the elements-people from the old school of spying, to the new electronics whiz kid, with a smattering of re-kindled middle age romance to young international romance; and loads of suspense.
This story is about the search for a chameleon like paid assassin and her unidentified UK target. A number of agents from MI5, it's French counterpart, and Special Branch, must fight to overcome interservice rivalries in order to stop the assassin, without much time to do it. You won't be able to put the book down until the end.
on 22 January 2002
Who would have ever imagined that a woman could be called a terrorist? A woman? When it is a woman, expect the worst. Rankin is able to describe his characters well, and manages to make the reader believe that the investigator is a real living person, and not merely a character. In his Rebus series, it is inspector John Rebus, and in this book it is the retired Dominic Elder. Rankin's skill cannot be questioned, but after reading The Falls this book was disappointing - I felt that the investigator in the book was more enthusiastic of catching the terrorist than I was enthusiastic of reading the book, which is not a good sign of a good book. The initial chapters are confusing and the story line takes long to get. Basically, I gave this book the benefit of the doubt because it is Rankin's, but the pages did not turn as fast as they had to.
on 2 December 2009
Having read the entire series of Rebus novels (and enjoyed them very much) but no other Rankins, I picked this one up at the airport when going on holiday not really knowing what to expect.

I found it to be a good and easy read, which kept me wanting to turn the pages. The differences I noticed between this and the Rebus books were:
1. In the level of detail and research around the places and events taking place. I have always found the Rebus books to be very detailed, giving the reader a real picture of the back drop to the story, I thought this was less so in this novel. Perhaps this is to be expected when it is set away from Rankin's usual stamping ground in Edinburgh.
2. This was generally more 'action packed' than the Rebus novels.
It was however an enjoyable read and certainly an easier plot to follow than some of the Rebus novels where I have sometimes found it necessary to review a page or two to remember where a character appeared previously (my reading tends to be in short burst between attending to the children)!

I think this will generally be enjoyed by previous Rebus readers and I would certainly recommend it.
on 14 February 2014
The departure from Rebus novels, has not created another character of the same ilk,the read was rather like a modern Biggles story.