on 27 September 2016
I love this author so much, I am reading all his books one after the other; This book is edge of seat stuff.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 September 2013
I have rated this book at 4 stars because it is well written and decently, if not brilliantly, plotted. Some of it is obvious as it has been done countless times before but other parts were a real surprise so it's a bit of a mixed bag. I, however, found that it didn't really hold my attention and it was too easy to do other things rather than pick it up (unputdownability is my criterion for 5 stars). There are, I think, a variety of reasons for this. Firstly, much of the book is told from Mark's point of view and it's stupid but I didn't like his character from the start - his unconcern at being late for work on the first day sets the tone. Secondly, there is too much attention paid to Mercer's mental healthy issues and his wife's attitudes to it - surely he passed a medical before going back to work? Thirdly the format which changes perspective every chapter makes it much more fragmented and harder to get in to than a straight narrative.
It's not a bad book it just isn't particularly to my taste.
on 2 September 2013
Absolutely fantastic book from Steve mosby, it's been a long time since a book gave me actual chills, I'm talking genuine shivers at the thought of a devil watching, acting and being so calculated. Loved it from start to finish. Can't wait to get started on the next one.
on 11 February 2008
Steve Mosby's previous books have had a futuristic slant but this time he plays it straight and the book is all the more readable for that.
A true wordsmith, Mosby's insights are at times astonishing and this type of writing is rarely found in crime fiction. As with The Third Person I often found myself stopping just to take in the beauty and depth of the words I had just read.
The story itself introduces Mark Nelson, a detective who couldn't possibly have a worse first day on the job. A serial killer / hostage story then unfolds with some truly sinister undertones.
A lack of action and failure to go into the mind of the killer often enough prevent me from giving 5 stars but Mosby is a talented guy and if he stays away from sci-fi tendencies I expect great things from him.
on 29 July 2015
This was my first experience of Steve Mosby and I liked it. Good plot and characters, I shall definitely read more from him.
on 18 August 2012
A highly original take on the serial killer novel, The 50/50 Killer is Steve Mosby's third novel and his first foray into the the more mainstream crime fiction, following his first two novels 'The Third Person' and 'The Cutting Crew'.

I read it in almost in one sitting. And to this day, it is the only book that I have finished and instantly gone back to the start and read again straight away. It was an outstanding read. I was drawn in so much by this book, that for weeks afterwards, I was talking about the concept of 'How much/far would you do/go for love?' so much, that my wife feels like she's read the book at this point without reading one word of it.

'The 50/50 Killer' is tightly wound, with electrifying pace and fantastically written characters. The prose is what made me a massive Mosby fan though. The way he writes is poetic. The words flow like a river off the page, managing to keep you absorbed in the story, whilst also throwing in enough twists and turns to leave you off-kilter throughout.

Overall though, the one thing that stands out about this book to me is it's core subject matter. It's a story about Love. Not just in intimate relationships, but everyday relationships with others. It's the way humans interact with other humans and how far you would go for your fellow earth dweller. It's a theme that runs through so many of Mosby's novels. At their core, they are about the Love you can have for someone. In 'The 50/50 Killer' that Love is put to the ultimate test. It's harrowing, emotionally draining and satisfying at the same time.

Since releasing 'The 50/50 Killer', Steve Mosby has gone on to write three more excellent novels. His writing is spell-binding, uncompromising and never afraid to show us the dark side of life. One of the most talented writers working today. If you haven't read any of his books, 'The 50/50 Killer' is an excellent starting point.
on 9 November 2012
I follow Steve Mosby on Twitter and asked him which book of his I should start with. As I love crime fiction, he suggested The 50/50 Killer. I really enjoyed this book...the characters were believable, the twists and turns gripping and the last 30 pages have to be read in one sitting...I just couldn't put it down until I had finished it. I will definitely be reading more of Steve Mosby's books.
on 7 May 2016
I almost threw this one in very early - scene and time changes coupled with first and third person deliveries had me questioning where I was. And when the "devil" made an appearance...well, suffice to say, the start of this novel really confused me. But I'm glad I did hang in as things did become clearer.

It is a very exciting book and, I must say, very well-written. You are on the edge of your seat throughout, despite some filler material.

On the flip side, you really have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy the novel and accept a couple of twists and turns too many. The scenarios are just too far-fetched and you can find yourself asking questions like whether there were adequate explanations for motives and the selection of targets. And some of the police activities and relationships had me scratching my head too.

Interestingly, there is absolutely no sense of place in the story, but the plot doesn't suffer as a result. The scenes are "the woods", "the hospital" etc. Until I saw a reference to currency (pounds), it would have been easy to believe this was a story set in the States.

I'd read more by this author in the hope that he doesn't use the same level of licence in all his stories.
on 4 July 2013
Good story

Dark crime story with great twist, I like the the way Steve Mosby in each chapter each character tell their own part.

Highly recommend it
on 28 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book. it had several twists in it and kept you guessing for some time. i was hoping for a sequel