on 27 April 2017
Cinema goers who were brought up on a diet of Carry On and Doctor films will be surprised at how diverse the career of Leslie Phillips has been, and at the remarkable success of many of the stage and film ventures he has promoted over the years. They will also be surprised that he began life as a Cockney lad from East London, and had to work hard to achieve his defining upper-class accent. Mr Phillips comes across as a very entertaining and agreeable personality, and for those of us who lived through his era, the background gossip is irresistible.
One person found this helpful
on 23 April 2016
I already have the audio cd's of Leslie's autobiography to listen to while on my delivery round but I also wanted the actual book as he's one of my favourite comedy actors. I haven't read it yet as it only arrived today, ahead of scheduled delivery date too, but a quick 'skim' through shows much more detail & photo's too. It's a brilliant book whatever the format. It's a must for fans of Leslie Philips...!
NB having now read the book I couldn't recommend it more. It is a lovely read & deals with some very personal times in Leslie's life, both funny & very sad. I particularly liked the anecdote about the film Brothers in law...but to be honest there are very many more brilliant anecdotes. My advice would be buy it...
on 16 December 2016
I don't buy autobiographies and find them boring but bought this because I have always liked Leslie Phillips. The book is amazing and almost spell binding in that it is so well written that I feel as if I've met him and it's a one to one conversation not a book. What a thoroughly interesting man he must be. I would love to have such an interesting life and Leslie's has certainly been very full without a day wasted. I am delighted to have read this and have a list of friends wanting to borrow it.
on 20 June 2017
This is a frank and funny account of Leslie's life as an actor. Mr. Phillips comes across as a likeable gentleman but since he is now about 93 some of his takes on life are inevitably a bit dated. I get the impression that he would have liked to branch out more, and done some more dramatic roles.
However, he will always be known as the funny upper-class man and he played these roles extremely well. I enjoyed this book very much and I would highly recommend it.
on 27 October 2015
Very interesting life, was surprised by the range of roles Leslie has played and the countries he has worked in. Work appears to have dominated his life to the detriment of some of his relationships. I have always been pleased to see his films, they are good fun (the earlier ones). I will look to see his later works having read about them.
on 5 December 2017
Very good condition as described
on 19 March 2017
Excellent service +good listening
on 5 March 2015
A very good read and well written giving a good picture of 20th century social history. I would recommend anyone to read this book
on 28 July 2014
This book is new and it’s well over 300 pages long. Not read it as yet, but it arrived within the specified time. Thank you.
on 31 August 2016
Interesting book to read regarding Leslie Philip's on his life story and who he met and worked with in the acting world.