Customer reviews

on 25 March 2017
good
on 4 August 2015
good
This is a slightly rambling novel that can't quite seem to decide whether it's a family saga or a glitzy romance. So the first part tracks the dysfunctional family of an ageing Hollywood movie star, before focusing on his grand-daughter, Siena.

Full of all the big emotions (sex, love, betrayal, violence) this isn't a subtle book at all and all the emotion is on the surface. Despite that, Sienna is a curiously attractive heroine for all her spoilt-brattishness and I really wanted her to have a happy end with her lover.

Set in a world of actors, directors and models, this is curiously unforthcoming about the world in which they live and, despite the language and crudeness of some of the sex scenes, has an oddly old-fashioned morality about it.

This won't challenge your brain in the slightest but it does work as pure escapism.
on 25 August 2013
this is the first book i have read by this author and picked the book up after i had devoured all my holiday reads.this is not really the type of book i would normally go for,and the description on the back is quite misleading as it is more than just siena's story.the book is written in three parts and revolves around the life of one wealthy and famous family.though the characters were varied in nearly all instances they were unlikable, for both their personalities and actions.however,for some reason i had to keep on reading.

there were plenty of cringe worthy moments,especially where sleeping around on people is concerned.most of the characters couldn't keep their pants zipped and the idea of being loyal was in a sense unfathomable to them.in my opinion a more apt title for this book would have been 'betrayed'!the sex scenes in this book come across less than loving or sensual and are instead quite disrespectful at times.its generally more about getting one over on someone and being excited because what they are doing is morally wrong.

there is i suppose a so called happily-ever-after, but i think it is fare to say this is not a traditional romance novel.it is more of a family saga that shows the knock on effect of events that have been caused by an unstable past.further,if your looking for realism in a book,you wont find it here.though we all know affairs,deception etc do go on in the world,this book takes the concept a lot further, as it also does with other aspects of life.this book should truly be seen as an escapist novel.

i honestly cant say i understand what had me so absorbed and turning the pages with this book,even when at times reading it was somewhat uncomfortable. that's why i have given this book 4 stars,not so much because of my love for the actual story-line and characters,but simply because i couldn't put the book down!!!
on 25 June 2005
I really enjoyed this book - I expected good things as the author is the sister of one of my fvourite contemporary writers, Louise Bagshawe. It's a return to the 80's style Jackie Collins novel but with more characterisation and a more 'epic' feel. Certainly not your usual 'chick-lit' about relationship worries or motherhood! I was engrossed, the herione Siena is maddeningly selfish and spoilt but you find yourself intrigued with her choices in life. This book is the perfect 'escapist' novel and I look forward to the next one from Tilly Bagshawe.
on 1 October 2011
I have read this book at least 5 times over and have become engrossed every single time. The main character, Siena McMahon, would usually be a character that you'd dislike immediately, however Tilly Bagshawe gives her certain qualities that means you can't help but like her and want her to end up happy. This book has become a firm favourite of mine and is highly recommended to anyone that likes a good read!
on 5 October 2006
I purchased Tilly Bagshawe's "Adored" [...]. I purchased it because I wanted to read something in the "romance" gendre that was not decorated with Fabio on the cover and a large brightly colored sticker announced it was one of the "Buy one and get one free" books.

Despite what Ms. Bagshawe's agent thinks, Tilly is not the next Nora Roberts. Her sex scenes are more like "Kama Sutra By The Numbers" than they are sensuous; her emotional descriptions leave the reader flat ("Siena was scared shitless"); her physical descriptions are more hygienic than descriptive ("she had a well-coiffed bush").

But...and it is a MAJOR but...I read it from page 1 to page 500-something and was enthralled wondering what evil, selfish and nasty things the characters were up to. It was always "what comes next?".

In some prurient way, I quite enjoyed it...but I will not run out to buy Ms. Bagshawe's next effort.
on 23 September 2005
Wow - could not put the novel down. This is the first novel of Tilly Bagshawe and I hope her next novel is as fantastic as this one. I kept reading forward chapters as I was so anxious to know what was going to happen next!! The 70's had some excellent authors and very few of them still write. I have found it hard to find good authors - Tilly is Louise Bagshawe, Jackie Collins and June Flaum Singer rolled into one. The charachers were real, you could visualise them, feel for them and each character held you spell bound. I think this story could even be continued quite easily. First time I have written a review, but felt I had to because this book is absolutely excellent. Well done.
on 13 May 2006
I'm a huge fan of Louise Bagshawe and have read all her books at least twice over, so I brought this book for a fix while awaiting her next book!

I was not dissapointed, it was fab! I'd reccomend it to anyone who enjoys Louise's books and I can't wait for the next one to come out! 10/10!! :)
on 16 June 2012
The book went on and on a bit, I really didn't like Siena and hoped that she would get her comeuppance, she did but not in a nice way. I had hoped that she had learnt her lesson but no, she had to be diva-ish in the hospital with a nurse, I didn't blame him for tipping off the press, as for the ending in a church, there was no need for that at all, quite tasteless in my view