Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Wycliffe is called to investigate a death on an island community. A young girl has been found in a quarry with injuries more serious than could be expected from a fall. The community is convinced that a pop star who has moved to the island is responsible but Wycliffe is not so sure. I thought the claustrophobic atmosphere of a small community where everyone knows everyone and is probably related to them was very well done.

I thought the plot was well constructed and the dialogue believable and I liked the way the characters interacted. The sense of things going on under the surface was always there. I especially liked Wycliffe's lunch with the Warden of the islands where many messages were delivered but little actually said. I liked the eccentric characters which you get in any small community.

This is an enjoyable read for those who like their crime novels to be written in the conventional way with little on the page violence or bad language. If you enjoy Alan Hunter's Gently series then you may enjoy Wycliffe. The series starts with Wycliffe and the Three Toed Pussy (Wycliffe Mystery)
on 6 July 2014
I have often watched Wycliffe on the television but this was my first book. The author held me entranced I could not put it down.
on 1 September 2009
I like to have a good story to listen to whilst I am driving long distances. This CD was perfect. It was a good and engaging murder mystery story. It was cleverly written and well presented.
on 30 January 2015
Great book, well written by W.J Burley, the Wycliffe series are great if you prefer the murder mysterie genre. Would recommend if you also enjoy the Ruth Rendells, Agatha Christie books..
on 10 October 2015
It's of its time of course but I found the characters weren't well developed. Good enough to read to the end but I haven't wanted to read any more Wycliffe stories.
on 31 August 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It has lots of twists and turns and really keeps you hooked and had me guessing right to the end. Another great book from W J Burley.
on 23 March 2015
Beautifully written and so professional.loving every one of them.telling all my friends to read them.if only I could have met the author.
on 10 September 2013
I enjoyed this tremendously I am really sorry that I have now read them all once started you will not put it down until the end
on 4 February 2013
Again I'm taken to Cornwall and everything Wycliffe . Feel like I know him so well and of course always a great mystery .
on 12 October 2015