on 18 April 2012
The order placed was for the 4 book collection set pack as shown but I received a single copy of only one of the 4 books displayed. Not sure if this was the faulkt of Amazon or the seller (suspect the former) - I tried again in march with same result! Very poor.
on 2 September 2017
Love this book.
on 12 May 2017
Another lovely Maeve Binchy book, beautifully read by her cousin. Quite a melancholy feel to it. However, it makes me want to visit the beautiful Greek islands again.
on 11 May 2013
I always enjoy reading Maeve Binchy but on this occasion I was hugely disappointed ... and did something I rarely do, I gave up! I felt it was badly written and the dialogue was toe curling, it was just awful. I was looking for a thumping good read that was going to transport me to a Greek Island, unfortunately it didn't deliver.
on 4 September 2013
I adore Maeve's books for the simple reason that they are easy reading and each one has the ability to make you feel like you are there and that these people are people that you know.

Beautiful escapism.
on 4 March 2014
I read it but would have to re-read it to recall what it was about. I've still got it so there is always the chance I will.
on 10 October 2013
This was a great read , you can sit down and enjoy been in Greece with her. I have read all her books more than once
on 25 January 2006
Being both a huge fan of Greece and Maeve Binchy I was really looking forward to reading this book. However, I just could not get into the characters or the story. I have read and re-read all of Maeve Binchy's other books and was really disappointed in this book.
I may try to get into it later in the year when I am on holiday but given that other readers also seem to think this is book is not up to Maeve Binchys usual excellent standard I will probably just give it a miss....here's hoping her next offering is back to her usual excellent standard.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 December 2015
Anyone who has read my reviews will see that I am a Maeve Binchy fan. I like the gentle flow of her novels & her wonderful insight into people's lives. I like the fact that her books aren't about massive, dramatic events but rather about events that are somewhat smaller but important to the people involved. There are times I enjoy great dramatic, all action novels & times I enjoy the quiet amble of a Maeve Binchy.

This book was no exception to the above. Four strangers meet in a small Greek village. They are all running away from their lives, their decisions & themselves. These are wonderful characters that I know I have met many times in my life. The besotted Fiona who can't see her boyfriend for what he is though everyone else can. The serious Thomas who tries to do what he considers best & gets it wrong. David who wants to be himself & isn't sure who that is. Beautiful Elsa, so successful but who runs away from it all. In with these characters are Vronny the Irish woman with a sad past & the wonderful Taverna owner, Andreas. As usual Maeve Binchy has created wonderful & believeable characters.

The setting of a small Greek village is perhaps a little fairytale like. I'm not so sure that tourists really get to know local people in quite this manner but it works for the story.

The story progresses slowly; we meet these people, we learn about their lives & their choices & then we slowly arrive at their conclusions with them. Not all perfect endings but ones that fit with the story.

Yes, this is a slow book but nonetheless difficult to put down. The story flows & I wanted to see what happened next. This is an ideal read for a lazy bank holiday - not too complex but very enjoyable.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2015
It was eleven years ago that I first read this book and gave it two stars. Listening to it as an abridged audio book was a more enjoyable experience, partly because I only heard the best bits and partly due to the excellent narration by Kate Binchy, Maeve's cousin. Her accents were excellent, from German to Greek to Irish, which added another dimension to the book.

The story is fairly mundane - a group of five tourists are eating at a Greek restaurant when, before their eyes, a fire breaks out on a passenger vessel out to sea, with the death of all hands. This shocking experience forges a bond between our disparate group of people and they get to know each other well over the succeeding days. The town is small and they keep bumping into each other until they gradually become the best of friends.

Each of them has come to Aghia Anna for various reasons, all running away from something or other. Their friendship helps each of them to see their problems in a different light and to arrive at some sort of solution.
It's a typical Binchy style of novel, heavily based on characters rather than plot.

Also read by Maeve Binchy:
A Week in Winter (3 stars)
Heart and Soul (3.5 stars)
Echoes (1 star)
Circle of Friends (4 stars)