on 30 January 2018
When you read some of reviews of this book you have high expectations. And you are misguided.
The narrative lacked integrity, People suddenly appear out of nowhere who have a
huge impact on the story who seem to know everything everyone needs to know. The puzzle
of the inherited book is randomly resolved by a character at the end who has all the knowledge that everyone
needed to solve that puzzle. I also can't believe that a twee, perfectionist, idealistic, academic, central
character transforms into a "What the fcuk" kind of person, who walzes off into a romantic fantasy with
her ideal man. Not worth reading.
on 8 April 2017
I have read other books by Ellory and that is why I bought this one.
However it is not up to his standard at all.

Maybe it was his first.
It is sentimental, trite and although the story is passable the way it out s written does not match the standard Of his other books.
Too many cliches and shallow characters- not what I expected.
One person found this helpful
on 27 June 2013
This is such a tremendous book, where do I start. It's captivating and draws you in from the first few pages. As with all Ellory's books it has you racing through it at break neck speed to get to the last few page where it all unfolds. However you're torn as you really don't want the book ever to end. Ellory writes with eloquence and has strands of humour throughout; one liners that make you wish you had been smart enough to write. I read this when it first came out, borrowed from a library, and I was drawn to reading it again so bought it this time round as I know I'll read it some more over the years. The characters he crafts are made of substance, they aren't shiny and fluffy, they are raw and real and they get under your skin. Annie, the main character is one that you want to nurture and protect but also scream at her to ask more questions. You identify with her humility and understand her complexities. You have empathy for her and are rooting for Annie from the start. Each time I've read an Ellory book I've devoured it in a few sessions so be prepared to lose a few days. And as a final note...everyone needs a Sullivan.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2015
Quite a haunting tale of Annie Mr Neill who is searching for memories of her late father. Into her life comes 2 characters Mr Forrester and David Quinn who literally turn her world upside down. There is a story within the main tale which you guess will lead her to revealing information about her father but be preparedfor the usual twists which Ellory throws at you. A slow moving story and at times I became a little frustrated at the seemingly naivety of Annie. However the double whammy ending made me glad I stuck with it. Another first class novel from the Master.
on 15 August 2017
I had previously read Mockingbird Song and was expecting another "interesting loner doing the right thing" type of story but was swept up by the Story of Annie O'Neil and her journey of personal discovery. I felt the emotions were very real and the lovely relationship between her and Sullivan acted as an anchor to the twists and turns that unravel across the book. Not sure why RJ Ellory is not getting the credit he deserves.
on 4 February 2015
I won't write a synopsis of this book as you have probably read other reviews, just enough to say buy this book and enjoy it as much as I have. Don't think it will be exactly like his other books, Mr Ellory will surprise you. It is different but in an odd way the same. I could not stop reading it.
on 22 February 2015
Ghostheart is so good. The best R.J. Ellory I've read too date. How does he do it? To conjure up such wonderful characters as Annie O'Neill and Jack Sullivan and to draw us into their story, their love for each other, their loneliness and their individual longings and frailties. The story is heart-breaking and compelling and unrivaled.
Do read it!
on 13 November 2017
Excellent product
on 23 July 2016
RJ Ellory's writing is gripping, and this is one of my favourite novels of his.
on 28 September 2017