Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on 8 December 2005
Swapping names like "Bilbo Baggins" for "Bingo 'Sac' Grabbings", you'd expect A.R.R.R. Roberts' 'The Soddit' to be an enjoyable romp and an entertaining parody of Tolkien's classic novel. Instead, the author settles for mediocrity and offers the reader very little in the way of humour. Saying this though, 'The Soddit' wasn't a terrible read, but it was a disappointing one.

Loan it from your local library instead.
on 12 October 2009
I bought the book but as I have reading problems,I needed the CD Audio Book "Oh Wow I laughed til I cried"!!! The CD brings the Characters to life and brings "So much Fun Into my Life"!!! Thank You A.R.R.R. Roberts for this Funny Story I totaly Enjoyed it.
on 20 January 2013
i don't often give up on a book, in fact this is the first. i battled through to halfway expecting that at some point i'd get into the spirit of it but after hours of determination trying to force myself to enjoy it i just got angry and slammed it shut.

if you want to read a book like the hobbit, read the hobbit. if you want to read a book like the hobbit which isn't the hobbit, read the hobbit anyway because you'll enjoy it more than this and you won't feel like someone has robbed you of a chunk of your life.

the jokes aren't funny, the page notes are annoying and i felt desperately sorry for the author who i presume thought he was being hilarious while he wrote it.

(excuse any grammatical errors, this book wasted enough of my time that i just wanted to have a quick rant but i will not be spending more time than necessary to ward off any other potential readers)

revision:

i felt a bit mean having said that, if the author ever stumbles across this review please don't take it to heart, just write something original instead and i'm sure you'll do us a favour and yourself justice
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2004
THE STORY:
A humble, and fairly stupid, soddit is whisked off on an adventure by a group of Welsh dwarfs, boyo, and Gandef the hard of hearing wizard. There travels will lead them into battles with Gobblins (mutant turkeys), through the Mykyurwood and finally to the Only Mountain. Well, obviously it's not the only mountain...
WHAT'S GOOD:
The author's notes at the bottom of the pages are a constant source of amusment, reassuring us of things like the fact that the sun didn't literally dance on the water, because that would mean fiery and agonising death for our heroes. The wittiest part of the book is actually in the back, where there are parodies of the adverts you get in a lot of books. In these ads, we get an early look at the adventures of Frodeo and Scram, who are just good friends, that's all. There's also an ad for the latest Soddit game for the PlayGameBoxCube 2, which follows in the merchandising tradition of games such as 'SimSoddit' and 'Metal Gear Soddit'. I thought some of the elements of these adverts were really scathing satirisations of the way in which Tolkien's books have become a merchandising frenzy. You can't enter a bookshop anymore without seeing some new 'Lord of the Rings and Me' cash-in by some unknown who hasn't had any success writing a proper book.
WHAT'S BAD:
Naturally, this book has to face comparison with 'Bored of the Rings' and, unfortunately, it doesn't come out too well from that comparison. Despite the fact that much of 'BotR's jokes were purile, it was still witty enough to tickle even the most mature reader, 'The Soddit' however, lacks this mixture of humour styles and, as such, fails to bring forth anywhere near as much mirth (in fact, I didn't laugh out loud until I was through the main body of the book and into the psuedo-ads in the back). I think Roberts' mistake was to try to write a good story, as well as a parody. Because of this, much of the book reads like a sub-standard version of 'The Hobbit' without any satire or parody and you end up feeling that you would've better spent your time just reading 'The Hobbit' itself.
Amusing, but not hilarious.
on 9 April 2013
I love The Hobbit so thought i might find this book slightly insulting. However, my friend convinced me to borrow it and it was a brilliant story and very well written. It was so good I ordered myself a copy. Unfortunately, this particular copy doesn't have any illustrations but I imagine the characters looking how they look in Peter Jackson's film anyway. The only reason it's 4 stars instead of five is that there were several spelling mistakes throughout. I would recommend because even i can look past the spelling and I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi.
on 24 May 2004
Laugh, I nearly wet myself and if like me you've also read J.R.Tolken's The Hobbit you'll also be rivited to its pages.
An absolute joy to read! Even the sad bits are hilarious and the last few pages are so well written that when this books finished all you want to do is start reading again. I did. And I can tell you that it was just as funny the second time around. I couldn't put this book down, I didn't want to put it down and I certainly cannot wait until someone produces a Block Buster out of this particular offering.
on 12 December 2003
I've just finished reading this fantastic book and I couldn't put it down, it's the funniest book I've read since, 'the hitchikers guide to the galaxy' It is a parody of J.R.R Tolkien's highly acclaimed book, 'The Hobbit'. It tells the story of Bingo Grabbins, accompanied by Gandef the wizard and a group of welshish Dwarfs. They are on the way to defeat the dragon Smug and steal his gold. Or so they say.
Along the way to the rather inaptly named Only Mountain, they meet some weird and wonderful characters and take part in the battle of the Famous Five.
Its a great book that'll make you laugh out loud until you find that everyone on the bus is looking at you. Reccomended for all.
on 13 February 2010
If you have a great sense of humour and know the Lord of the Rings story, you will laugh at this. I couldn't stop laughing at it's stupidity. Brilliant writer. Great book.
on 18 December 2003
Really, it's about gold, nothing else but gold, why else do you think 12 Welsh dwarfs and an aging, mostly deaf wizard would head off to a dragon's lair? See, now your stumped.
Anyway, Bingo Grabbins is a Soddit, well really he;s a Hobbld, but they are called Soddits by everyone else and he's dragged off on an adventure remarkably similar to that of Bilbo Baggins' as found in The Hobbit. Now this may come as a shock, but The Soddit is a Parody of Tolkien's childrens classic, but this book is far funnier and filled ith good giggles.
Well worth reading and every page has some form of joke on it, even if some of the funnier ones are in the author notes found at the bottom of sme of the pages (ala Terry Pratchett). Whether you love or hate The Hobbit, you'll get some enjoyment out of this book so long as you know your Tolkien and have some good understanding of the English language (and Welsh culture) to pick out the funniest bits.
And I hate to spoil it for everyone, but Bingo finds a Trademark in this book ;)
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2003
What can I say, I don't want to sound like a pompous Tolkien fan, but this book is just aweful.
It did give me the occasional chuckle i must admit, but at the end of the book I just felt like I had been used, and more importantly that the Hobbit had been used by a bunch of slightly talented (about girls aloud level talent) arrogant gits who looked at the works of Tolkien and made a lame parody of it.
This is not Bored of the Rings, or even close to it. Its just half hearted and lame. It creates nothing new and adds nothing to what the original gave us, its just a smartalec rip off.