on 14 April 2013
The stories are really well written, in language that is intelligent and exciting. However, ONLY read it all in one go if your brain can take the strain! Best read one at a time with something lighter inbetween, because the plots are intense and sometimes a little complicated. No bad thing, but I read it all in one go and by the end I really needed a rest!
on 7 June 2017
Robert Ludlum has some pretty good ideas which are spoiled by his turgid writing style. Watch the films instead!
on 15 December 2004
I must admit I only bought this book due to the films baesd on it, as I was interested in how the book differed to the movie. In my experience, movies usually massacre books when they're converted to the big screen yet I was fairly impressed by the movie and therefore assumed that the book must be just as good.
This book deviates from my usual preference of book, so I can't compare it to other books in its genre. I can however say that I thoroughly enjoyed these books, but they differ greatly from the films as the book is a lot more complicated, and contains many things that just cannot be included into a 2-hour movie. This is actually a good thing, because I wasn't bored while reading these books even though I'd already knew how it'd end.
The story itself is refreshing in its content - it is original and unclichéd, and definitely deserves 4/5.
on 13 September 2009
For me this trilogy will always be the yardstick against which I compare action/adventure and thriller/assassin/government agency themed novels.

It is considerably more complex than the films, although they do provide an excellent adaptation and are very good in their own right. But the plot is changed a lot and reduced a lot for the films. You miss out on some of the best action and a lot of the character development.

I think what is most appealing about Bourne is not only his identity crisis after waking up, wounded, and not knowing who he is, that he works for a clandestine government agency. A lot of the appeal is also in how he goes about his job. Unlike James Bond and others, he doesn't rely on gadgets and contacts and having massive amounts of money thrown at each mission. He doesn't have a team to back him up. He's just one man with a mission, and he carries it out in a totally believable way. Everything from his fighting techniques, the way he eludes those chasing him, to how he manages to run circles around the authorities, with their superior technology and manpower, are incredible yet completely believable. When he does rely on the help of others, it's a select few trusted friends and ex-colleagues, and he uses their skills and contacts intelligently. He's somewhat understated, as compared to a lot of action-heroes, and it's a more intelligent brand of action.
on 13 October 2017
If you're a Ludlum fan and haven't read the Bourne series, you should.
If you've seen the movies, the books are a step further into the minds of the characters.
Well worth a read.

Physically, this trilogy will challenge some.
It weighs in at 1.6kg (3.5lb).
Measures 230 x 155 x 55mm or 9.25 x 6 x 2.25 inches (approx).
1400 pages of thrilling action.
on 22 August 2007
I orginally read all three books at different times years ago. I Loved them all, especially the first one. I picked up the trilogy book as it seemed a good way to read them all again. I have to say it was not as enjoyable the second time around. Probably because I knew what was comming and also it became a chore to slug through the 1,400 pages. I recommend a reader do one book at a time then take a reak for a few weeks or more before comming back, otherwise it all starts to run together. The Bourne Identity is a classic in the thriller genre!
on 27 April 2004
This is a fantastic book if you're the kind of person who can pick up abook, and read for two days solid. If you're not, then you may struggle. Ihave an hour commute on the train to and from London each day, so read afair bit. Prior to this, I had read most of the Clancy and a few of theGrisham books, among others.
With Clancy and Grisham, the pace is fairly steady, however with theBourne trilogy, expect much more of a rollercoaster; you can find yourselfreading for three days before reaching an exciting bit. Don't get me wrongthough the exciting bits really are fantastic when they come along.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the book is big - it's about 9"tall, 5" wide and 2" thick, that really makes for some reading!
Overall, worth buying if you're a fast reader, have plenty of time on yourhands, and have very strong arms!
Oh, and the story is good!
on 13 August 2004
I read the Bourne books years ago and enjoyed them immensely! With the new movie comming out I thought I'd reread this classic thriller trilogy, and was pleseantly surprised to see all three books available in one Volume. Bravo! A capital Idea! If you have never read these books you are in for a treat, no great literature but wonderful reading for a summer afternoon of escapisim.
on 6 June 2012
Firstly, if you don't like heavy books, then buy the novels separately. I already have several of this type (Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, Ian Rankin), so knew what to expect when I ordered. But be warned - three decent length novels in a single volume makes for a hefty tome.
Twenty or more years ago I read a lot of Ludlum books, but then moved onto other authors and forgot all about him. But, like many people, I have seen all three of the Bourne films, each of them several times. Somehow, knowing who's on which side and what happens next does not detract from the excitement.
So I decided to read the books and see what Ludlum's original stories were like. And what a revelation! The films seem to take the basic premise of the story behind the books then veer off in a completely direction.
The books can each be read in isolation, although you'd be daft to buy the trilogy and not start at the beginning! There is more depth in the books than in the films and there are twists and turns to keep you wondering what's to happen next. I read from the start of the first to the end of the third as if it were a single continuous story. Thought about reading something else in between each one but couldn't bring myself to put it down until I'd read the lot.
If you've seen the films and think it'd be boring to then read the books, don't worry, the main similarity is the name of the eponymous hero. The stories are far more detailed and intricate.
on 10 January 2005
Having seen the film, I was interested in reading the book. It doesn't take long to see that the plot of the book is very different from the film.
For example, it is not just a story about bourne against the US government, he also has problems with another assassin, so there is more dynamics involved in the plot, keeping it fresh through the three books.
You will get drawn into the characters, they are well written and change through the story.
Overall - great book!