on 17 December 2014
I have just discovered Ian Rankin and am working my way through his "Rebus" books and have to say the character is captivating.
It's good to read about the "real" Edinburgh and not the "twee tourists side". Coming from Newcastle, I could identify with the working class areas and some of the characters, they appear in every city in Great Britain. His use of the dialect is spot on and the humour of the Scots is used throughout.
I really enjoy his works and can only say this was one of the books that I simply couldn't put down one I'd started it. Black and Blue became slightly tedious towards the end but I persevered and am looking forward to more of his books.
on 11 May 2011
Let it Bleed:
This is only the second Rebus novel I have read. Whilst I enjoyed it I'd have to say that towards the middle the politics kind of turned me off just a little. Not enough to stop me reading, it was just a bit too political for my own personal taste but then I'd be the first to admit to my own ignorance of Scottish politics. However, the book redeemed itself with Rebus's machinations towards the end. On the whole a very enjoyable read.

Black and Blue:
Detective Inspector John Rebus once more finds his back against the wall. He juggles four cases in the hope of nailing the infamous serial killer Bible John. As if that's not enough he finds himself subject to an internal inquiry headed by a man he has just accused of being of taking back handers from Glasgow's Mr Big - Uncle Joe. Rebus must fight for his job and his very life. Add in bent cops, environmental protestors, gangsters and you have Rankin on his finest form. Rebus's obsessive terrier like tenacity is really highlighted in Black and Blue as are all of his flaws as he battles not only his obsession but also his addictions.

I know it's a cliché but once I started reading this book I almost could not put it down. I've read a few of Rankin's novels now and Rebus only becomes a more compelling character the more I read of him. Rankin has that rare skill of blending multiple plot lines without ever confusing the reader. A thoroughly enjoyable read that has left me clamouring for the next Rebus novel.
on 1 April 2017
Couldn't wait for the book to arrive. Glad that it contains three stories, as I've not much space on my bookshelf. I do enjoy reading, and this pre owned book was in good order, so very pleased with my purchase.
on 29 December 2017
Superb. Rebuilding my library and these stories, obviously, came to the top of the list. Enjoy them!
on 25 September 2017
The book cost 1p plus postage and gave me hours of happy reading.
on 6 October 2016
Great to find this as it's out of print. good quality book and terrific stories
on 12 August 2016
Bought for husband, he enjoyed it.
on 17 July 2016
Good author. Good price.
on 26 July 2017
Great price for a great read
on 22 December 2014
Cannot comment,as I boght for a present,but the writer I know,so a excellent choice for a gift