on 8 May 2002
This is a recipe book that will not be gathering dust at the back of my bookshelf. Instead it will end up dog eared and stained and proud of it -just as any decent cook book worth its salt should be. This book makes a mouthwatering read and has beautiful photography. The recipes are not the usual, they work and whats more there are lots of them. Enough to keep the keen and eager vegetarian cook busy for a long time. I am no 'hardcore' vegetarian (and my family certainly are not) but I do prefer vegetarian food and am keen on cooking with fresh and seasonal food. This book is great for cooks who are feeling a little jaded - it has lots of new ideas. My family have loved everything from the book so far and that is why I am happy to make this recommendation.
on 19 July 2017
Quite Simple the best Vegeterian cooking book I've ever owned!!!! Excellent!
on 16 February 2008
This is a wonderful collection of easy to prepare vegetarian dishes that taste amazing. Nadine Abensur transforms simple vegetables like potatoes and spinach into something heavenly. This is what vegetarian food is all about ... dishes that make you want to make them again and again and again. Some of my favourites are the beetroot risotto, spinach soup, asparagus and cep tart, and the celeriac and porcini gratin. I love this book because all the dishes I have tried are lovely and if you're cooking for someone else you can be guaranteed that whatever you choose to make from this book will impress your guest without fail. Gone are the days of boring, bland veggie food; Nadine Abensur's book changes the taste of lentils, tofu and cabbage to something spectacular and special.

What makes it special is not just the amazing variety of recipes; it really is a truly global melting pot of the best French, Italian, Russian, Moroccan, Indian, American, and Japanese cookery. But it is Nadine's passion for good cuisine that stands out. This is food writing at its best. The sensual language and succulent photographs make this a book to savour and enjoy even if you don't have time to cook.
on 2 December 2002
Nadine writes unabashedly sexy recipes! This is one of my favorite cook books of all time, along with Cranks Fast Food. My father said of Nadine's chermoula, "this is a life-affirming sauce"! I think that all of Nadine's recipes are life affirming. I just made her Irish Soda Bread last night, and it was delicious. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in expanding their culinary repetoire.
One of my favorite recipes in the book is the one for Celeriac "boullaibaise" (did I spell that right?): it takes some prep work, but it's worth it!
I've read the book probably 3 times through from cover to cover-- the pictures are gorgeous and her descriptions are charming and funny. If you want a book to get you inspired about cooking with less meat, or to get you inspired about cooking mediterranean/middle eastern/north african cuisine, without the intimidation factor, I highly recommend Cranks' Bible.
on 24 February 2004
Nadine Abensur is a genius. I love this book and have read it from cover to cover several times. I also use it all the time. Every recipie I have tried has worked and even ones that seem a bit strange taste divine. I would say it is more for the advanced cook but Nadine's passion and enthusiasm for cooking and food in totally infectious.
A must for everyone, vegetarian or not!
I used to use this book a lot (I bought the original paperback edition published in 2001) but somehow it ended up at the back of the bookcase until I recently pulled it out again and remembered how wonderful it had been.

Occasionally I find that the layout is a bit awkward, with a recipe spread over several pages. Also, I would prefer it if the preparation was split into identifiable stages - the method is divided into un-numbered paragraphs, with no line breaks, so it is difficult sometimes to find the next section. One example of this is the Mushroom Wellington but it tastes so good that I can forgive the impracticality of the layout. There is an update on the classic Cranks homity pie - much lighter and less 'worthy' than the original.

Other old favourites are the carrot tarts with a walnut pastry; chick pea salad with grilled halloumi; a fantastic celeriac soup with saffron, orange peel and fennel seeds; cauliflower & corn chowder; mushroom ragout with vermouth; a really quick laksa; pumpkin noodles with coconut milk, lemongrass & lime (again very quick); barley risotto with red wine; and tomato risotto. Desserts are based around fruit & nuts such as roasted plums with orange water & a crystallised ginger crème fraiche or a delicious mango cake, but there is an excellent chocolate mousse cake and a chocolate tart with crystallised ginger among others.
on 25 November 2013
I bought this as a gift. The book I recieved had some food and crumbs between the pages, but I was expecting this, as this book is brilliantand my own copy is messy between most ofthe pages. This is the best vegetarian cook book/actual cookbook i've come across to date. Would reccomend to anyone.
Has seasonal chapters and little bio on commonly used ingrediants.
Personal favorite recipes are the beetroot risotto, coconut and cardamon rice pudding, and the chocolate and almond cake (but omit the breadcrumbs, they're not needed).
on 27 October 2009
Well written,interesting and mouth watering selection of vegetarian recepies for all who enjoy eating and preparing good food. Not perhaps the best book for inexperienced cooks as Nadine assumes a little prior knowledge. She encourages one to experiment with different flavours and tastes.
Her recipes are often for 8-10 persons, so need to be scaled down, however, I am very happy to have this book as another in my 'bible' selection.

Barbara....love vegie. food, but also need a good piece of beef every so often!
on 24 April 2016
I can see there are some lovely recipes but there is no index which makes it very hard to use
on 13 May 2003
Some excellent and easy recipes. Still a lot of the typical old wholesome cranks style recipes but then again it is a cranks book. Aesthetically pleasing however my biggest criticism is probably the fact that recipes are not always set out across the open pages and you have to turn the page mid-way through, not ideal in the kitchen. But generally good with some interesting stuff.