Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 January 2002
This book is very typical of Lee's style, and captures the heart of the reader. Laceys of Liverpool follows the life and story of the Lacey family, and, through every trial and tribulation, the reader feels utter empathy for the characters.
Laceys of Liverpool was a very easy book to read, and almost impossible to put down. The attraction of this book is, like Lee's other novels, the historical element, along with the 'human-interest' of the characters.
The main characters are very easy to relate to, with Alice being the epitome of many females' aspirations; how she copes through all her problems, yet still manages to come out on top despite her struggles.
This book is to be recommended to anyone who enjoys being swept into a different world, and being so caught up in it, you can't leave.
Absolutely brilliant, with elements of sadness and romance so typical of Maureen Lee, this book is a must-read.
on 25 June 2004
I found this book easy to read and hard to put down. At the beginning Alice is naive when she borrows money from her inscrupulous sister-in-law Cora who makes her sign a contract givng her a share of her new hairdressing business. At the time, Alice desperately needs to keep her hairdressing job, the reason for taking over the business after her employer suffers from alcoholism or dimentia or both. The novel is not clear on this although it is not a major part of the plot so it doesn't matter. The business becomes Alice's life.
The novel begins with a tragedy when after an accident which disfigures Alice's handsome husband, but only slightly so. He changes from a nice man into a jealous bully. Later on in the book, the scar has healed and is only slightly noticeable. It is at the end of the book that my impression of John is that of a vain man, who was more in love with his good looks than with Alice, hence her suffering at his hands after the accident when he thought himself a 'monster'.
As you read on, you come across other 'imperfect' people, like Fion's first husband, another victim of World War II, but whose good nature is in abundance, unlike her vain father. So although this book is a light read, it also teaches you about love, between couples as well as between parents and children and between siblings.
If you enjoy a good family saga, I highly recommend this book.
on 18 March 2002
This book is fantastic, and would do well if it was ever brought to the tv our tv screens.
the book starts in 1940, then jumps to 1950's and
follow the fourtunes of the Lacey family John,alice and there 4 children, the book moves on to the 1960's and then in to the 1970's the book moves at a good pace and the ending is so sad
have the tissues close by.
I could see this on our tv screens on a sunday night,iwas even working out who i would like to play the parts
on 12 April 2005
I have now read all of maureen lee's books, and every one is fantastic. As soon as you pick the book up thats it forget about the outside world, because they are really hard to to put down. The stories are brilliant, you end up going through all the emotions with the characters because they are brought to life so well. Maureen Lee is outstanding I dare you not to enjoy any one of her books. The Books are set in and around Liverpool starting from war time then gradually coming through the years (all different stories and characters). Honestly once you start reading Maureen Lees books you are hooked line and sinker. Enjoy the read.
on 31 March 2013
I suppose I am very bias towards this book because I was brought up in Bootle and all the places I remember from my childhood.It did remind me of Bootle life in the 50's when I was growing up. For Bootle exiles all over the world it will bring a tear to the eye of how thw place was years ago. A very good read
on 22 March 2012
My partner is a voracious reader and enjoyed this book along with many others by the author, it only takes her a matter of a couple of nights to read these stories so I guess they are interesting enough.
on 3 October 2013
Stories and settings always make me want to read on,this book is a lovely read.Would recommend to all my friends.
on 4 November 2013
Enjoyed this book,as it kept me wanting to find out what happens to everyone in the family.Can't wait to read another one of Maureen Lee's books.
on 2 November 2013
Get this book you will really enjoy it I couldn't put it down you get engrossed in the lives of these three girls
on 11 April 2013
I enjoyed this book a typical Maureen Lee novel. I read this over a few nights and it made me fall asleep.