on 20 June 2017
Bought for a friend who loved it
on 3 April 2017
Peter James never fails
on 8 September 2015
In all honesty this is the first Peter James book that I've read that I didn't really enjoy. Not scary at all and struggled to hold my attention.
on 4 April 2001
Having followed the writings of this author and enjoyed every book so far, this one brings it's own cast of strange charecters who jump out from the pages. A grieving mother is torn between the dead and the living, tormented and terrified she embarks on a frigteningly realistic journey which grips and twists as it goes. Again Peter has me sitting on the edge of the seat, I think I've got it then realize I haven't. This supernatural thriller is totaly believable and worryingly real. Other favourite titles include Host and Denial. My only complaint is that I read them faster than Peter creates them!
on 30 September 2008
Interesting story but it ends up going nowhere, particularly as all the major plot twists are heavily signposted near the beginning of the book. There's a fair bit left unexplained, e.g. what was going in in Broadmoor, why was there an exorcism there?. What were Fabian and his friends really up to? This was the meat of the story but the author just ignores it. An un-satisfying read.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2008
Too much in too short a book, characters not fully developed - very fragile plot devices. Lots of anomolies. Terrible end. Could do better!
on 27 July 2009
This book starts off really well, he is an author I really like, but being used to him writing crime I assumed this was too. I was really pleased it was a book about the supernatural as it's my favourite genre. It starts off really well and the blurb makes it out to be a genuinely frightening book. And it could have been but the ending is rushed to a conclusion that leaves you scratching your head a bit. I could only take a guess at why certain things happened as it's not explained properly and while this can sometimes be a good ending for a book it's obvious he has tried to explain it but fallen very short of actually doing so. It reads like he got bored three quarters of the way through so rushed it to an unsatisfactory conclusion.
on 30 December 2012
This is a book which centres around Alex, a mother whose son is killed in a car crash but whose spirit lives on. Fabian is not quite the nice boy his mother thought he was. The story from Alex's perspective is well told and is genuinely scary. However, at the conclusion of the book we are left with too many loose ends for the book to be entirely satisfying. The story would greatly benefit from more time explaining a bit more of what Fabian had been doing before he died and particularly expanding on the Broadmoor connection.

I assume I know what happened to Carrie and I think I know who Otto is but I could be wrong. It may be that I am being thick and others will say there are sufficient clues in the storyline. Maybe there are but just with quizzes and crosswords, it is nice to know at the end whether you have got the answers right. A bit of an effort in tying up the loose ends would have made this a really top notch thriller but it is still highly readable and recommended.
on 25 March 2011
Am a big Peter James fan and have read all the 'Dead' series, Faith, Truth and a couple of others. Possessed, for me, and judging by an assortment of previous reviews was well below his best. Started well, ran a pace, then grind, grind - until the end, by which time I had lost interest. If you haven't sampled James before, don't choose this. His stuff is great.
on 16 May 2008
I couldn't put this down. I only picked it up because I had nothing else to read and now I can't wait to buy more of his books. I hope they're all as good as this.

Well worth buying and reading.