Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2001
If you enjoy war time stories then this is one for you because not only is it fasinating but also incredably moving. As you read it you become extreamly attached to the characters, you almost adopt a maternal or paternal role over them. I found it hard to let go of them at the end. Josie is trully an amazing woman she deals with loss of life, confusion in the way her life leads and also making a life that she can cope with. Your bond with Josie is very much real and you feel the need sometimes to reach out and support her. Maureen Lee's sensitive approach to the chacaters is it itself most of the masterpiece. Her ability to create such realistic situations and emotions between characters is amazing. The life story of Josie is so realistic it could easily be an auto-biography. As a reader you travel through time to an era which is sometimes so difficult to comprehend but Maureen Lee makes it so vivid in your mind you find yourself walking down the streets of Liverpool with Josie feeling the heartache Josie goes through with her mothers death and the love and affection which she fially deserves. This is an amazing book it is a moving and a utterly breathtaking masterpiece, I most definatly recommend it!
on 10 April 2001
Maureen Lee has managed to caputure, once again, my imagination with her latest book. There are so many surprises in this book, and the characters are so moving you will not want to put it down. This book covers everything from child abuse to prostitution - but it is done with so much compassion & feeling that it isn't at all tasteless. I'm a big fan of ML, and this has got to be one of her best.
on 14 March 2001
So far, I have read all of Maureen Lee's books. 'Barefoot House' is probably the best yet to come from the magic pen of this brilliant Liverpool author. Having lived in Liverpool all of my life, I can picture some of the places mentioned in this book. I know some of the streets were fictitional, but there are many places like them in the South part of Liverpool. I cannot wait for the next Maureen Lee book, and if it is anything like all the other's, then I will have my tissues ready for when the tears start. Keep up the brilliant writing you are doing, and carry on entertaining us whith your wonderful stories. I have a feeling, part's of your book's are based on your own experiences throughout your life. You are up there with Lynn Andrews and Joan Jonker, right at the top of my favourite author list.
on 25 November 2015
I loved this book, absolutely loved it. Usually there's something negative to say about a book but this was amazing. Had me laughing with the heroine and crying. I felt like I was on the journey with her.
on 19 June 2000
I ordered the book back in January 2000 and once it was delivered it took me only 6 days to read. Fantastic. You could just feel the love inside it was a fantastic book, no less than expected BY the Fantastic MAUREEN LEE.
on 22 March 2012
My partner is a voracious reader and enjoyed this book along with many others by the author, it only takes her a matter of a couple of nights to read these stories so I guess they are interesting enough.
on 4 August 2015
I am a fan of this author anyway and have read many of Ms Lee's books. This was another title where I came to the end and have enjoyed the 'ride' to the extent that I am reluctant to start a different book as it may be inferior and let me down.
This however rarely happens with Maureen Lee !
As ever will miss my friends, in the characters, sounds sad but I think most readers are the same ? :)
on 21 March 2016
I have read quite a few of Maureen Lee's and always enjoyed them. This is one that I have not. There is a lot of bad language in the book. The plots seem unbelievable, and the old ladies obsession with the sex lives of younger people seems unhealthy!
on 13 October 2008
Another great book by Maureen Lee, I could have cried The story of josie a small child lving with her mother who is a prostitute by night but loves her daughter very much, but when her mother is killedis forced to live with her aunt and abusive uncle, but has josie grows into a young women life again throws challenges in her way till shefinds hapiness
on 14 June 2014
I have read everyone of her books and always look with excitement for her latest book but sad to say I found the girl from. Barefoot house quite drawn out in fact boring at times not a very exciting story. I will still buy her next book though and hope the magic is back.