Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 19 June 2004
I watched the film first and I thought it was breath-taking. I then decided to read the book and it was even better.
I had cried at the film and thought since I knew what would happen I wouldn't cry at the book but i cried even more than the film.
I am so glad a got the complete book in one volume because if I had had to wait for the next part for a month I don't know what I would have done.
One of the best 3 books I have ever read.
33 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2017
I have not been too keen on Stephen King probably because I have always wrongly believed that anybody who is so prolific can't be that attentive to detail. This book however proved me wrong. Having seen the film I was keen to read the book and it certainly didn't disappoint. The descriptive words are so atmospheric I am simply struck by his and others writers talent and at the same time jealous too. I could almost hate him for being so talented, actually I think I do.
on 22 September 2015
An amazing emotional fantastically written novel by a genius of a writer, loved every second of it I get why Stephen king has his status as a great writer
on 2 February 2017
Great book Speedy delivery
on 19 March 2017
Great stuff.
on 24 April 2017
Just glad i got this book. Seen the film countless of times,so if you liked the film,then get the book.
on 3 March 2017
Although I've seen the film and knew the story, the writing kept me transfixed and the sadness and emotion was beautiful
on 17 March 2017
Best read for a long time. Not sure if I would enjoy a second book as the story should be one book.
on 26 November 2016
No book has ever evoked such emotion in me as The Green Mile. King describes events and people in a deceptively simple yet engaging way. It also kept me awake at times as the description of Delecroix's execution is graphic and painful. King portrays terrible evil and natural goodness side by side in a way that is totally believable and yet disturbing and hard to accept.
The publishing of this serialised novel in one volume (although it retains its parts) works for me. I can imagine the original readers queuing in the street when the next instalment was published and pining for the next as soon as they finished it.
Terrific read.
Thank you Mr King.
on 4 December 2002
Having sat one rainy night and watched the film I thought I'd give the book a try as I was impressed with the film and have to say the book blew me away even more so than the film.
I've tried reading Steven King books before, but found them a bit too much for me. Whether they've been too sci-fi orientated or too horror based they've just not been my cup of tea. But this is a welcome change to Steven's writing. It's very readable and the characters have a lot of depth. I'd recommend this to anyone who has seen the film and enjoyed it, as the supernatural elements are far better described in writing. And for anyone who has not heard of the film or the book, don't be put off by the word 'supernatural' at all - this is a very touching, well-written story that doesn't dwell on the supernatural but more uses it to compliment the situation.
Definitely my favourite book I've read so far!