on 20 August 2002
'Tavola!' This world sums up the Italian way of life. Families and friends gather around the table - good, healthy, wholesome food cooked with love and generosity and of course the pride of the cook, usually Mamma or Nonna.
I lived in Sicily for five years and eventually intend returning there. The story and recipes included in The Tuscan Year I can associate with the southern style of rustic cuisine. I will follow the recipes contained in the book and surprise Mamma Natalina on my return.
I am so pleased I found this book - it will be with me for always. Watch out! Sicily is the new Tuscany! You wait and see.
on 10 July 2000
This was a really good read. With most cookboods, all you get are recipes, but with this one, you get the cultural context of the recipes, and more importantly, a feel for the cooking. The recipes don't have to be 'by the book,' which lends to increased confidence in 'real' Tuscan cooking.