Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 July 2017
Beth Chatto has a very engaging writing style and there is a wealth of information in the book. However it is an old book, so has only a few black and white photos in the centre. If like me you are a novice gardener then the plant names don't mean much without supporting pictures. I have given this book to my horticultural friend who is really enjoying it. I have bought Drought Resistant Planting also by Beth Chatto which suits me much better as it's full of beautiful colour pictures to bring the text to life.
on 19 September 2013
i would recommend this book to any one who has got a dry, stoney garden as it helps you to understand what will grow. I now have a plan to fill my garden with lots of plants .
on 14 March 2014
A great book which was bought as a gift and was very well received by the intended audience. To say "over the moon" is an understatement.
on 17 July 2013
Everyone who owns a garden or even a window box should own a copy of this book, which sets out a completely pragmatic philosophy of gardening and then actually tells you how to achieve it. As other reviewers have said,it's short on pretty pictures (older editions anyway), but it does have tons of valuable advice, a comprehensive list of plants and an infectious enthusiasm that more than compensate for full colour photographs.
on 19 May 2017
a classic by a famous landscape architect
on 21 August 2011
Beth Chatto is not only one of the most talented gardeners of her generation, but her books are a fantastic source of carefully researched information for other gardeners. This is garden writing for the more determined reader: you will either need to recognise the plants by their Latin names since there are no pictures, or else you will have to be prepared to look them up as you read. I did the latter, and I learned more by reading this book and studying the plants than from almost any other gardening book I have ever read. I garden in a south-facing garden of silty, sandy soil with the typically low rainfall of SW London, and I really struggled to know what would thrive when we moved here many years ago. But Mrs Chatto taught me well. I will never be able to arrange my planting to look even fractionally as beautiful as Mrs Chatto's, but from this book and her later book 'Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden' I know what will grow happily for me. I no longer waste money and time on plants that hate my conditions - there are a huge number which love my Mediterranean-like garden and look wonderful with the little attention I have to spare for them. (And I rarely lose plants in a cold winter because they don't suffer frost damage the way more water-loving plants do.) (Another good source of information is Nicola Ferguson's 'Right Plant, Right Place' which lists a good number of plants that like to be dry.) This review is based on the 1998 revised edition published in that year.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 January 2011
To today's eyes, this book looks old-fashioned, even boring. Don't be fooled. Chatto was the first gardener to popularise "ecological" gardening - grouping plants by their natural habitat, and suiting them to the habitats your garden has to offer. This modest handbook will still prove exceptionally useful to anyone gardening on thin, dry soils.

The first half of the book is devoted to Chatto's excellent advice on getting the best results from dry soil, enlivened with anecdotes about her own experimants and solutions, and interspersed with planting schemes for various situations - designs are given for an open sunny island bed, for instance, and then for a dry shady one. Chatto describes how she grows her own plants, and which have done best in different positions. Her style is relaxed, informal and very easy to read.

The second half of the book is an alphabetical list of suitable plants, with descriptions and suggestions for their best place in the garden. The index at the back helps you find mentions of particular plants in the first part.

I have the 1981 edition, and the real drawback of this is a lack of the kind of illustrations we take for granted today. There are line drawings of the planting schemes, and a modest number of black and white photos, very little help. However the book is so well researched and well written, it is worth reading it with a pictorial reference like the RHS encyclopaedia by one's side.
review image
on 5 September 2013
I live in Suffolk, on sandy soil, and my garden is painfully dry. I've been to Beth Chatto's gardens at Elmstead Market (thoroughly recommend them) and bought this as a 2nd hand bargain through Amazon. I'd hoped for information about plants and I'm very pleased with what's in here. What i hadn't expected is Ms Chatto's engaging style and the lite anecdotes that are most encouraging.

The book was first printed in 1978 and the photos are in black and white. Don't let that put you off. You don't need attractive photos and glossy pages because what you get here is sound expertise. Invaluable.
on 3 December 2012
A practical ,knowledgable enthusiastic guide but I do wish the paper was smoother as rough paper yellows and is marked by handling frequently.
on 31 August 2013
I found it old fashioned and only black and white photos. Very informative and written by the expert in the field