on 16 November 2013
I love reading about the Mitford girls and this book was a good one.
Of course a lot of the information was already known.......there can't be much new to write about them by now but still this book came up with some new material (to me) and was fun and interesting to read.
Decca became a lot more human to me than before. It showed the softer more fun side to her and also brought to light how difficult and sad her life had been at times but how resourceful and intelligent she really was.
Also Diana was given a new slant and a new understanding of her as a sister and mother rather than just showing the side to her that we all know.....blindly following Mosley and his beliefs.
All in all I enjoyed it and would recommend.
on 27 December 2013
I thought there would be more about the individual Mitford sisters instead of what they thought of their life and society. I have read other books on the Mitford sisters which I have found more interesting and a better read. It started off well and I found it hard to get to the end.
on 30 October 2016
Unfortunately this is impossible to read. The writing consists wholly of disjointed paragraphs which jump here, there and everywhere without any kind of continuity. Disappointing.
on 16 January 2017
Love it. Laughed and felt sad for the girls
on 6 August 2016
Lyndsy Spence knows her Mitfords. This book is entertaining and informative. And Spence writes well.
on 20 October 2014
very pleased with purchase
on 9 March 2015
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 October 2013
So much has been written (and re-written) about the Mitford sisters that it would be virtually impossible to tell the reader anything new. In 'The Mitford Girls' Guide to Life', author Lyndsy Spence relates all the well known (and some not so well known) events, anecdotes, opinions and comments in a most novel and entertaining manner. An excellent book to read in one contented sitting or dip in and out of at leisure.
on 14 August 2013
I have to admit that I am already a big fan of the Mitfords and that period. I've pretty much read everything there is to read about this famous family. This book is a wonderful addition to my collection and I can highly recommended it to fans and newcomers alike. It's written in a fresh, compelling and very entertaining style and gives new insight and fresh material. Delighted to find many photographs that I have not seen before. I found it hard to put this book down, and I suspect I won't be the only one
on 17 September 2013
I have read lots of books about the Mitford girls and think this rates as one of the better ones... It contains lots of facts that I hadn't heard before and is brilliant especially for newcomers to the world of all things Mitty.. Really enjoyed it.. Also, lots of never before seen pictures which added to it's appeal. A must read for all Mitford fans and ideal for getting new followers too!