on 15 May 2013
I enjoyed this book, it can be read from cover to cover or you can keep in on the shelf and dip into it as and when required. The book doesn't go into any great detail on the events that it mentions but then that is taken for granted as this is a simple overview of the situation and the reader can always read other boooks to find a fuller expenation of the events discribed. Well worth the time to read.
on 22 February 2013
This was an ambitious project, given the scope of the topic matter, and the author makes a good effort at realising it - I learnt a lot of fascinating stuff from reading this book. Many of the problems I encountered stem, I guess, from a hasty conversion to Kindle format, as the punctuation is a little haphazard and some dates are wrong, leading to some 'eh?' moments as I triedto resolve apparent time-travel paradoxes.
More dates generally would have been useful as it would have allowed me to gauge the timescales and therefore intensity of our involvement in some of the countries discussed. The author's research seems comprehensive but there are a few missed episodes which are brushed against but not covered properly, including the long period of service in Constantinople's Varangian Guard by Anglo-Saxon exiles in Turkey, followed by the establishment in the post-1066 colony of New England in the area between Georgia, Russia and Ukraine, granted as reward for this service by the Byzantines.
That said, this was an interesting and entertaining read marred slightly by some poor proofing, and I will retain this on my Kindle for reference purposes.
on 8 February 2017
My husband obviously had a "thing" this Xmas about being British - could it be because of Brexit ?? This is a hilarious book, well written and fun to read. I haven't read it yet but it had him in stitches and he did read me some anecdotes from it which were rather funny. Not so sure about the historical accuracy though !
on 21 August 2014
From Afghanistan (several times) to Zimbabwe via almost any point you care to mention, we've been there, had a battle or two and usually left again.
Stuart Laycock is an amusing and informative writer. The only problem I have, and have had since doing History at school, is that war itself, campaigns, battles, reasons and consequences overlap, blur and repeat.
on 1 June 2017
Great read, all the 'glorious days of EMPIRE believers' and all the 'union jack' wavers should read this book. It is very enlightening.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 March 2013
A comprehensive guide to as it says all the countries we've invaded.Or been involved with.because it covers all in an alphabetical list the caribean becomes tedious basicly the involvement of Danes French Spanish change island name.
But not all boring repeats the central asia and for example Phillpinne adventures were new to me.The section on Afganistan is a leeson to our current politicians.
on 15 January 2018
A great read for when you need to relax. It tells whom Britain fought, conquered and governed - when Britain was Great.
Delightful to read.
on 13 November 2017
Good fun if relatively short of detail.
on 8 January 2016
Factual and funny, amazing that a small country such as ours produced so many people bent on conquering most of the known planet.
I wonder why that is?

Well written. Food for thought.
on 16 December 2017
Interesting book giving a good insight into our colonial past.