on 18 July 2012
I was an RAF pilot and went through my initial officer training and flying training just after the author did (because I'm slightly younger and a lot more handsome!) and also served in RAF Germany during the Cold War years, although on a different base and different aircraft type. Mike Brooke has very accurately captured the mood I'm sure we all shared during those days - we were in a very serious business and if we ever had to do, for real, what we trained for every day, we didn't expect to survive beyond the first day and probably not beyond our first sortie. So we developed an irreverence for the reality of our situation, which Mike has captured perfectly. As he describes life on his squadron I can feel myself there with him in the cockpit, the crew room and the bar - and especially in the bar! I read "A Bucket of Sunshine" in less than two days. I just couldn't put it down, but didn't want to get to the end of it. If you want an insight into how things were on a frontline RAF squadron during the Cold War you have to read this book. It truly was a great read.
on 7 May 2017
During the Cold War Period, the British Military had to deal with a Low Budget. The Politicians were Never Helpful
nor were they really sincere about their Nation's Defence against The Soviet Threat.
The RAF suffered from such Politicians.
But Mike Brooke and men like him made up for those terrible Politicians.
They join the ranks of The Few !
Buy this book for it tells you about the RAF and its fine pilots of the Cold War period.
Don't wait any longer to get yourself a personal copy.
on 11 March 2017
Great read, although it's a biography without any real combat (given we are talking about nuclear bombers, I'm very glad of that), it's gripping from beginning to end. The writing style is excellent, the anecdotes range from hilarious to sobering, I was fully engaged from beginning to end. Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2017
This book is hard to put down once started and the tension of the cold war is palpable! A thoroughly good read from start to finish with much information that was previously denied to us by the Official Secrets Act. It is clear that these brave pilots were each on a suicide mission if they ever had to deploy the ultimate weapon and that adds to the interest. There is much about life in Germany on the many British bases with nuclear capability with added interest from visits to American bases. Highly recommended!
on 3 October 2017
I enjoyed reading this, sort of autobiography and anecdotes of RAF life in the 60s in Germany. A kind of peak into a different world.
on 18 March 2017
A well written and interesting book. How these guys lived with what they were capable of amazes me.
on 5 September 2017
Reading this book brought back a lot of memories of my time at Llarbruch in the early '70s just as the Canberra was being withdrawn and replaced by the Buccaneers and the phantastic Phantoms of II (ac) Squadron, great times.
on 22 May 2017
Possibly the most tedious book I've ever read it has the same qualitys as a parish magazine,, best avoided except for insomniac s
on 21 August 2017
Couldn't put this down. Full of both amusing and sobering stories surrounding a fascinating and fantastic aircraft. Definitely worth a read.
It was in a period when life in the RAF could not have been better despite the cold war buildup.