Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 20 July 2013
This is a brilliant read! Its worth buying if you need to research your workhouse ancestors to find out what they had to endure, what was expected of them and how they were educated. Reading this has also changed my perception of the workhouse. All my studies have shown that the workhouse, far from being a terrible place to be, it was far better than being left to wander the streets destitute. My grandmother was put into the workhouse along with her mother and younger brother for reasons I have still to find out. However she had a good education and learnt all manner of womanly skills which put her in a good position to find some decent work when she was released.

It was often the case where the mother died and left the father to look after the children.
on 23 September 2016
very interesting how life as changed the history of the workhouses how people were cared for the people who run them I have placed an order for workhouses in the north. if thing were like this today makes you wonder if our crime rate would drop
on 8 March 2017
some read, what information, will take a while to get thru'
on 14 July 2017
As a research tool for family history this book is great when used with " Vioices from the Workhouse". Has a wonderful index of workhouses throughout the UK..
on 14 April 2017
First two thirds very informative but the last third is just all entries with details of every workhouse in The British Isles
on 3 August 2017
satisfied
on 23 May 2017
He is the expert on the workhouse
on 21 May 2013
Interesting points in this encyclopedia, not something to read from cover to cover as bedtime reading, read something which takes you somewhere else in book or onto the internet to find out more.
on 10 June 2013
Jam-Packed full of information - I have already made use of it with my research into my grandmothers early life in Chichester Workhouse, and will continue using it for research in the future. Easy to read - but not the sort of book you'd sit down & read cover to cover. As you'd expect with an encyclopaedia, it is in alphabetical order. This is my only gripe; It is not always easy to guess the key word to obtain information - I knew my grandmother had been born in the , so I looked for Babies - nothing, I looked for Births - nothing.I finally tried Children - lots of information,though none specific. There were various times I had to guess what would be the key word. Otherwise a useful book, both as a source and to send you in the right direction. Well produced, with great photo's and illustrations.
on 12 January 2013
If you want to know anything about the workhouse life and also about the old workhouses around the country and what happened to them after they closed.
Then this is the book for you---A great read and reference book
Great if you are looking into old workhouses