Format: Hardcover|Change

I enjoyed reading this collection of quotes from Jane Austen's novels and from her letters. Each chapter contains a brief description of the particular topic and it is followed by the quotations. Yes there isn't anything much that is new in this book but if you love Jane Austen then this is an ideal way of dipping into her writing without starting to read one of the novels.

I found the quotes were almost instantly recognisable and I amused myself by identifying the source before I read where it came from. I also enjoyed the quotes from Austen's letters which show her knowledge and understanding of human nature. The novels are written in rather more formal language but the letters show the real person behind them - and individual I would love to have met. She has warmth but also a sense of humour which delights in the follies of her fellow human beings.
on 3 March 2013
This book is written in a fashion were all chapters cover one topic which influences Jane's writing, it includes women and there place in society; changing ranks; love and friendship. The introductory paragraphs are interesting and very well researched. You feel like the person is really the top authority in Austen, and has scrutinised each text. Unfortunately there are chapters, where there they end with page upon page of quotes. There is no reflection on these quotes, or further analysis of the language used, which I think is a shame. With all these quotes, this becomes more than an overall piece, but without the depth of insight, it is less that an academic piece. And for this reason I feel a little lost with I how I feel about this book.
on 13 January 2013
If you are hoping to learn anything new about Jane Austen you won't get it from this book. Ms Nixon just lists quotes from characters in Austen's books and states they are Austen's view of the world. There are a few lines from letters Austen wrote to family but these are so short they too give no further insight into her outlook on life as you do not know to what incident she is referring. Very disappointing book and rather a waste of author's and my time as nothing is revealed that isn't already known of this amazing author. Felt cheated. Gave one star for effort.
on 20 January 2014
I ordered this for a neighbour who had received another in the series for a Christmas present, and really enjoyed it. She was delighted to receive it and looks forward to reading it.