Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 February 2013
I got this book as a going-away gift after living in the UK for several years. It was a perfect reminder of my time here. The cover does look cool the way it merged from old to new, but after looking at the photos more thoroughly, that would be almost impossible to do with all the scenes without resorting to photo manipulation. I loved going through and seeing all the changes that have been made (some bad, some good) to the London landscape and trying to recognise individual buildings and areas. Or to see how some places have barely changed at all!
The photographer excelled with her night shots of London -
The writing is also good here and was an enjoyable read.
Will bring back fond memories of my London days.
on 11 February 2013
It is a good quality book and certainly an interesting read into London history but it is much smaller than I thought it would be and the contents not as originally expected.

From the front cover I was expecting some intersting edited photos showing the modern day scene stitched on to the 'olden days' scene on the other side for some abstract comparisons. Or at least I was expecting it to be more a book on photography than a history of London.

Despite this the book is well written and even though it wasn't quite what I was expecting I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it and flick through from time to time to look at the pictures.
on 10 September 2013
I bought this for my sister who emigrated to Australia last month, she had lived in London for many years and was familiar with nearly all of the landmarks contained within this lovely little book. She was so pleased, and made a point of buying a couple of spare copies for her ex pat friends in Sydney!
on 23 October 2014
I really like this book, I borrowed it from the library and liked it so much I ordered my own copy. The photos remind me of the places I worked and visited during my commuter days. Highly recommended.
on 28 February 2013
I bought this for my father who is very interested in the history of London, he enjoyed reading this, the comparison pictures are very interesting.
on 31 December 2012
This book is compiled of photographs of very well known sites of Central London that haven't changed hardly at all! If the older photographs weren't in sepia you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. There must be more to central London than the obvious tourist parts. Disappointing.