on 13 December 2017
This kindle book was let down by very poor contrast between the print and the page background, so it became irritating to read. There are also careless mistakes - for instance towards the end of the chapter on Puritans and their effect on carols, the author refers to "royalists" being unable to control public demonstrations of Christmas, but from the context it would seem he is in fact talking about "puritans".

The combination of an unpleasant reading experience and dubious facts meant that I have abandoned trying to read the book, and will delete it from my kindle.
on 7 April 2014
Marks (the author) is quite a clever chap, but more importantly, he's also a really good writer. I also bought his other book, A little book of Wales - if you have not read it please do, frankly it should be compulsory for anyone living in Wales !
on 3 April 2013
This book gives a wide view of the history of Christmas Carols. Not comprehensive but covers all the best known carols. An eye opener for those who sing these carols every year and love them. Also a good refelection on British social history. Recommended.
on 7 November 2017
Went down well with my Mum, who loves some interesting trivia
on 25 March 2012
Such an interesting book to read and keep. We may know all the words of our favourite carols, but the background to the origins of them is unknown to so many of us. I think this little book will be passed around our family and "thank you" to Father Christmas for delivering it in the first place!
on 3 February 2016
If you are at all interested in the origins of our most popular carols this is for you
on 10 December 2016
Interesting background to a number of traditional carols.
on 1 April 2013
I enjoyed reading this very much, and gathered some useful fcts for research. I know you can't have everything in a small paperback, but I wish some of the illustrations had been a bit clearer (the photocopies of photographs). But it was a well-researched and enjoyable read.
on 1 November 2017
Great book from a great guy
on 25 March 2013
Bought as a gift for an elderly lady, who likes small books that she can carry in her handbag and read on the train.It is small and has lots of interesting facts about Christmas traditions.