on 12 March 2017
Another great recollection from one of these unsung heroes. Written as if he was writing it as it happened and you are there with him. More people should read these accounts instead of whinging about the death and destruction to our once enemy - just remember the forgotten 55,000 who died to help bring about a peace. Just think, the BBC could be showing a real SS/GB programme.
on 15 September 2015
Remarkably readable and unguarded. It is the flavour of the man, conveyed as much in his sparse and clear style as the forthright content - rather than tales of derring do - which mark this slim volume, published in 1944.

'... when death seems almost inevitable, the feelings I have experienced have been excessive loneliness, a deep sense of depression, and a feeling of utter hopelessness and misery.'

Or, on a visit to New York (when he was training to become a pilot in Canada):
'One man stopped me on Broadway and asked:
''Will you do me a favour?''
I said I would if I could.
''Then shoot Hitler for me.''
We shook hands.'

Or when Rivaz was resisting very strong pressure from his Squadron Commander to become a pilot instructor rather than an operational pilot:
"... I can tell you what you ought to do. You are cut out to be an instructor,"[the Squadron Commander] replied.
..."I'm being very serious, though. I would sooner go back as an air gunner than stay as an instructor."
"I don't believe for a moment you are in earnest."
"I am sir, and I'll chuck in the course here and now if there is any question of instruction."
"In which case I hope you get shot down!"
"That would be nothing new. I'll come and see you later, if I may, sir, about the posting."

Rivaz got his way and was posted back to Britain, but he was unlucky and ended up ferrying aircraft. Sadly, he was killed shortly after this book came out when a plane on which he was a passenger crashed in Belgium.
on 16 November 2016
Captivating exploits from this publishing houses first hand exploits, in service.
We all know that the tail gunner's position was the riskiest & loneliest in the bomber, no contact, a big chance of being marooned in a thinly shielded bubble if the hydraulic controls were shot through, ..yet this young guy went through the lot & out the other side, ..really gambling the high odds stakes to the max!

I don't give much away with books, it isn't my place to, however as a short book this excels, whilst I have read a lot of serving military experiences from WW1 & 2 the tail gunner never ceases to surprise me!

Compared to other books of this type, if you are trying to get the emotions & experiences across to a younger generation from a particular service positions aspects then this publishers books do the job very well compared to the "hidden voices" series (also excellent but a complete pick & mix of service personnel stories) this on the other hand is one persons perspective as a team member & ultimately very satisfying, you cannot knock the price nor the content within!
on 6 April 2017
This is a really good read which brings home the danger and the fear (which the author euphemistically calls 'stage fright'). I would say this is one of the better books detailing operational flying in RAF Bomber Command. Tragically the author did not survive the war.

A good companion read would be Diary of a Bomb Aimer by Campbell Muirhead. The diaries include training in North America as well as his tour of duty. It also has a lot of detail regarding life on a operational Bomber Command Station
on 19 May 2016
A nicely written account that makes you feel that you are in the moment with the author, and gives the reader a great sense of the sights, sounds, smells and emotions of going to war in the rear turret of a WW2 bomber. As it was written soon after the events took place the language and analysis is very much from the period and not as a result of reflections from many years hence and I this gives it much more of a feel of being a first hand account delivered as if talking to the author during the conflict. A very good read.
on 29 April 2016
very interesting to hear from a different aspect of the bomber crews. never read an account before from the tail gunners point of view. enjoyed this account. T.C.
on 26 June 2017
Loved reading about this brave tail gunner a real change from just the pilots view
They were such an amazing team in the bombers and this book shows the bravery of each and every one of the crew
To be downed in the sea not once but twice! And rescued both times is nothing short of amazing
Such a good read I was sorry when I finished the book
on 15 July 2016
This book gives is a fascinating account of what it was like to serve in Bomber Command during WW2. Although it is a relatively short book the author describes many aspects of the life of a bomber crew and the extraordinary experience of facing danger and death. The author describes his fear and sleepless nights before a mission and then his determination to see the job through. True bravery.
on 25 October 2016
Fascinating to.read particularly as my now 94 year old husband was a rear gunner too ,occasionally he has told me a few things about His Operations but not as detailed as in this book,thank you RC Rivaz for writing about your experiences and a big thank you to.all the Gallant members of Bomber Command ,who were treated so badly once the war was over
on 2 March 2017
Brave guys these aircraft gunners. The air war from a different angle.